Core 500 vs Node 304

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

taskenspiller

Core 500 vs Node 304

Post by taskenspiller » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:36 am

Hi,

Decided to try a silent/quiet air-cooled build in the Core 500 or Node 304.

What case do you think has the best potential for a silent gaming build?

Going by intuition, the 304 seems better, because of the airflow going from the front and out the back. SPCR had good results with the 500, but did not test the 304 with a gaming setup.

Components I'll be using: i5 6600K, MSI RX 480 Gaming (may go for the GTX 1060 yet, for the lower TDP), a single SSD drive (may use an M.2 drive first, and add a SATA one if that M.2 drive turns out to get too hot under the MB). I'll use a short 140mm PSU, like the Cooler Master V550 or SFX model Corsair SF 450/600.

lvca_gr

Re: Core 500 vs Node 304

Post by lvca_gr » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:32 am

Hi everyone, been lurking for a while (few months) and I haven't found a subforum for introductions and I feel my issue fits better here, so I hope it's ok that I post here directly.

I'm on the same boat as the OP, only I think the core 500 has a better potential and my build is a bit different (i5 6500, gtx 1060, rm550x). Still, I'd like to hear the community thoughts about both cases.

Anyway, I've read somewhere (maybe on this same site) of someone blocking the top vents on the Core 500 without negative consequences, and I'm even thinking that might improve GPU cooling since it'd force most of the airflow to come through the GPU vent and "through" the GPU. But somehow I fear that may also force the fan to work harder.

So, do you think that's actually a good idea? What fan would you recommend if I were to swap the included one? The MoBo would be an Asrock one, so PWM fans would be best, right? (at least that's what Abula suggests, iirc). Reading that thread about 140mm fans and the roundups, I thought of this one (Antec True Quiet) cause it's cheap and I'll end buying nearly everything there, since it's cheaper than my country even with the shipping costs.