Corsair Carbide 100R Silent vs. 330R vs. Other

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

GDI_Lord

Corsair Carbide 100R Silent vs. 330R vs. Other

Post by GDI_Lord » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:26 pm

Hello

TL;DR: Which case is better in terms of dust protection, silence and temperature - in that order please? Or can you suggest another one for $60 or less?

The last time I built a PC from scratch was about seven years ago, so I'm a little bit out of practice. I'm trying to decide on which case to buy ahead of Black Friday later this month. In my country, South Africa, the Carbide 100R Silent and the 330R are roughly the same price: $50-60. My budget is $60 or less, but I can try and stretch to $65 if it's really going to add considerable value to my build.

I'll be running a 6700 (non-K,) an AMD RX 480, 1x 2.5" SSD, 2x" 2.5" HDD and an optical drive. I am not planning on overclocking.

Given that I live in a reasonably dusty area and that the computer will be in my bedroom, which case is better in terms of dust protection, silence and temperature - in that order please? I've read some reviews that say the 100R Silent has some issues with drive temperatures, but some other reviews say that the drive temperatures are just fine.

If you have any other suggestions, if I need to buy additional dust filters for the fans (and which ones?) or any other cases that I should see if I can get in my country.

Thank you
GDI Lord

quest_for_silence

Re: Corsair Carbide 100R Silent vs. 330R vs. Other

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:13 pm

Welcome GDI_Lord: as "usual", link to your favourite shops, please! :mrgreen:

GDI_Lord

Post by GDI_Lord » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:39 am

Certainly. :-)

To get USD prices, just divide the prices in Rand by twenty.

All prices exclude shipping.

Online shops:
Landmark PC:
Carbide 100R Silent +- $50
Carbide 330R +- $85
Full Chassis list - here

RebelTech:
Carbide 330R +- $75
Full Chassis list - here

A South African price comparison website call PriceCheck:
Carbide 330R +- $75

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:16 pm

Admittedly I didn't find anything which stands out over competition there.

You may find some offers about the CM Silencio 452 (revised version of the 450) or CM Silencio 550, but all in all they're somehow comparable to the 330R. I think I saw also some offer about the Bitfenix Ghost: it may be an option, noise wise (I liked also the In Win 303/503/703, but those are different cases :mrgreen: ).

My personal preference probably goes to the Silencio 550 and Ghost but IIRC none comes from less than 60 bucks (BTW, I think you noted the 100R Silent doesn't come with a front dust filter, so that it shouldn't be on top of your short list: in case, DEMCiflex is your friend).

Which are the specs for that rig?

GDI_Lord

Post by GDI_Lord » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:30 am

Thanks Luca.

I'll probably be running a 6700 (non-K,) an AMD RX 480, 1x 2.5" SSD, 2x" 2.5" HDD and an optical drive. I am not planning on overclocking.

If I get a case without filters I'll probably consider getting a filter or three or four for not only the fan/fans themselves but also any unused fan mounts so that no dust gets in there.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:24 am

GDI_Lord wrote:I'll probably be running a 6700 (non-K,) an AMD RX 480, 1x 2.5" SSD, 2x" 2.5" HDD and an optical drive. I am not planning on overclocking
Seemingly it's not something a Silencio 550 or a Ghost could handle with ease (check the relevant reviews), go figure a 100R Silent.

The Fractal Design Define S (or R5) would seem better suited than those, but I don't recall there were some available at you: what about a Corsair 400C or 400Q?

GDI_Lord

Post by GDI_Lord » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:44 pm

Thank you. It seems that the 100R Silent is the case that I'll have my eye on this Black Friday, the other cases are too expensive for me.

What are you opinion on dust filters for the fans please? I read on this site that filters aren't ideal because they restrict airflow and the fans need to work harder, and therefore noisier, to do the same job.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:18 pm

GDI_Lord wrote:t seems that the 100R Silent is the case that I'll have my eye on

Nice: given I feel it should be not well suited, particularly on load, please let me know how it works, as I'd really like to get either a denial or a confirmation about such a feeling.

Particularly I'd like if you may report us about the relevant temps and subjective acoustics when outside (mobo and GPU on an open air bench, I mean), and then when your build will be completed (all parts inside the case, the case in his own place).

GDI_Lord wrote:What are you opinion on dust filters for the fans please? I read on this site that filters aren't ideal because they restrict airflow and the fans need to work harder, and therefore noisier, to do the same job.

Dust filters may be a necessary evil in some ambients, so the question is "when are they necessary"?

With a new case, particularly if it were substantially different from what you have now, it's mostly a trial and error process: just run the system without them for a few months, then look at the practical results. BTW, in this respect you're somehow facilitated: that 100R Silent has just the one but for the PSU, which shouldn't affect the case airflow.

I'd add that if you're thinking to add some 3rd party dust filters later on, and not to operate some DIY mods, IMO you'd better to pick a better case since now, as they don't come enough cheap.