Riser for Streacom FC5 EVO?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

mattlach

Riser for Streacom FC5 EVO?

Post by mattlach » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:33 pm

Hey everyone,

I have just ordered a Streacom FC5WS Evo for as a new case for my HTCP. It was a little expensive, but having a completely fanless case in my entertainment center is a must.

Does anyone have any experience with this case? Unfortunately, in my setup I absolutely need a Nvidia GPU. (For whatever reason, the MythTV plugin for Kodi just keeps crashing with on board Intel GPU's or AMD GPU's. I've been wrestling with this problem for almost 3 years and the only solution I have found is to use an Nvidia GPU. I have a passively cooled GeForce GT720 for this purpose.)

Anyway, the manual suggests using a flexible riser to install anything in the PCIe slot, but I have had bad experiences with flexible risers in the past, and the flexible risers I have found on Amazon are either littered with reviews saying they burnt up their motherboard, or with either no reviews, or a single 5 star review from someone who has never reviewed anything else.

So, I have been doing tons of research, and I came across these images on an Irish audiophile forum where someone using this case has found a non-flexible right angle riser that fits in this case:

The images are from this thread

Unfortunately the top one is too low resolution to read the part number label on the riser, and the bottom one has it cut off (but at least I know it starts with "GH-U" :p )

I think it is probably an Ably riser, but they have A LOT of Risers that start with GH-U of varying heights...

I tried joining that forum to ask the poster directly, but they have some rather complicated audiophile questions as part of the sign up process, presumably to keep the riff-raff out, and I failed and was unable to do so.

Does anyone know what riser this is? I thought maybe it was a standard right angle 1U rack mountable server riser, but the case is 60mm thick, and one U is 44.5, so it's ~1.3 U. Maybe it is close enough that 1U just fits? Or maybe I should be trying a 2U part instead?

If anyone has any experience with this case, or risers in general, I'd appreciate any information, feedback or suggestions!

Thanks,
Matt

mattlach

Re: Riser for Streacom FC5 EVO?

Post by mattlach » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:41 pm

Well, I decided to give up on finding a fixed right angle riser that would work. Too many dimensional variables, and long lead times on parts shipped from china if they don't fit. I don't want this project to last until the end of time.

I went ahead and ordered a sintech 5cm (~2") flexible riser as they seem to not be bad from the hardforum thread on risers, AND one of the ebay reviewers mentioned the Streacom FC5 case by name, and seemed happy.

tJev

Post by tJev » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:10 am

I know its a bit late of an answer but I'm pretty sure that a 1u riser would do the trick. Funny enough I bought the same flexible riser for my FC5 build with a GTX 1060 in it.

//tJev

jahill

Post by jahill » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:35 am

I found this thread when trying to answer the same question and wasn't able to find an answer anywhere. So, after a little trial and error, I discovered this riser fits the Streacom FC5 case: Gugutogo PCI-E Express 16 X 90 Degree Adapter Riser Card For 2U Computer Server Chassis.

Fundamentally, it's a 4cm 2U PCI-E riser, so you may find alternatives that work just as well.

Amazon UK sells it here (although it ships from China, mine arrived in about a week): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gugutogo-Expre ... B07BSHY7MG