Updating from a P183 - is an R5 truly the best option?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

GlacierNine

Updating from a P183 - is an R5 truly the best option?

Post by GlacierNine » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:25 am

OK, so system specs:

Core i7 6700K (No Overclock, undervolted by 0.195V)
Noctua NH-D14
Palit Super Jetstream GTX1070
16GB RAM
Asus Maximus VIII Hero
3x 3.5" HDD
1x 2.5" SSD
Pioneer BDRW Drive
Corsair CX750 PSU

Present fans are 1x Scythe at the front intake and 2x Noctua P12 at the rear.

Use is Gaming, but also Music Production and Recording, so needs to be as quiet as possible without compromising on performance.

The case is getting old, it doesn't have good cable routing, and the number of drives I'm stuffing into it is causing problems, so it needs to go (My BDRW is presently unplugged and my SSD isn't even fixed to the case). From what I can tell the best option on the market right now is the Fractal R5, but I'm not very well versed in other available options, and I'm also willing to spend a little more if it's worth the improvement.

What are my options, or should I just say screw it and buy the R5? I'd be intending to run the R5 with the middle drive cage removed and the other two in place. I'd also be buying 140mm Noctua A14 fans to fill every un-used fan position.

Currently in a moderate-to-cold room, HWmonitor reports idle temps as roughly 22C, and load temps as roughly 40C. I have my fan profiles set up in asus AI suite to turn off all fans except the CPU fan if the processor temp is less than 35C, and to put all fans to 100% if the CPU temperature exceeds 65C.

Let me have your opinions, thanks.

CA_Steve

Re: Updating from a P183 - is an R5 truly the best option?

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:17 am

Welcome to SPCR.

If you are tired of the P183, then the R5 is a fine replacement.
I'd also be buying 140mm Noctua A14 fans to fill every un-used fan position.
The R5 may run a little cooler than the P183..and your temps are already fine. Try the two stock fans (one front, one rear) and see if you like their sonic signature/performance. Replace them if you don't. Worst case, add one additional front fan for a little positive pressure. Top/bottom fans not needed.

PSU: Can you hear it when all but the CPU fans are off? You might consider replacing it with a Corsair RM550x.

HDDs: If you haven't already, go into Windows Power Options and set up a profile to put the HDDs to sleep after x minutes of inactivity. Keep all data reading/writing to the SSD for audio recording.

GlacierNine

Post by GlacierNine » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:59 am

Thanks.

I'm not too bothered by the PSU - it's the loud-est thing, not a loud thing.

Hard drive wise I'll try what you said - Is it possible to shut down hard drives when that specific HDD has been inactive, or is it an all-or-nothing type deal? One HDD needs to be permanently active but shutting down the others when there's no need for them could be nice.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:08 am

GlacierNine wrote:and the number of drives I'm stuffing into it is causing problems
http://www.silentpcreview.com/section21.html?from=15 (old but gold)

GlacierNine

Post by GlacierNine » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:26 am

Should have been more specific - it's causing problems because I no longer have drive bays left in which to put the drives I have added. My SSD floats free in the case, over the Optical drive to keep it away from fans.

The replacement of the case is not for noise reasons - it's solely because the P183 is old, not in great condition anymore, and no longer fits all my hardware cleanly.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:36 am

GlacierNine wrote:Should have been more specific - it's causing problems because I no longer have drive bays left in which to put the drives I have added.

I should have been more specific too.

If you run out of bays, and the Antec P183 should have 11 (4 x 5.25", 7 x 3.5": incidentally the excellent Define R5 has 11 bays also - 2 x 5.25", 9 x 3.5" -, not an improvement, seemingly), I guess you need a different type of case, perhaps like those pointed out in the venerable SPCR guide.

At any rate, my best wishes.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:04 am

GlacierNine wrote:... I no longer have drive bays left in which to put the drives I have added. ...
:?: You have three HDDs and the lower HDD cage alone holds four. Then you can add three more HDDs in the upper cage, possibly one in the external 3.5" bay and another one or two in the free 5.25" bay.

I really don't see a problem!

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:23 am

GlacierNine wrote:Should have been more specific - it's causing problems because I no longer have drive bays left in which to put the drives I have added. My SSD floats free in the case, over the Optical drive to keep it away from fans.

The replacement of the case is not for noise reasons - it's solely because the P183 is old, not in great condition anymore, and no longer fits all my hardware cleanly.
The R5 will give you a very pleasent and easy build, and continue the quiet building style. There are other options, but for what you want to achieve, i think the R5 is a solid choice.

laurentopia

Post by laurentopia » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:17 pm

How is the P183 in term of sturdiness?
I read a few reviews lamenting the rattle of the R5 when setup in certain ways.

vishcompany

Post by vishcompany » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:30 pm

Nothing ever rattled with my R5 while I used it. I meanwhile switched case, but not because the R5 was bad. It's a great case. I just wanted something smaller. Nothing wrong with the R5.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:26 pm

The P183 is very sturdy to me. I've had one for more than five years and will for sure not get rid of it any time soon since there are few other cases that take my CP-850 PSU...