Question about Windowed or not windowed case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Bokka

Question about Windowed or not windowed case

Post by Bokka » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:11 am

Hello everyone!

I would buy the houses "Fractal Design R5 Black". But they are undecided whether to take it with the window or closed.

My setup is as follows:

MSI Gaming M3 H270
Intel I7 7700 (NON K)
MSI Radeon RX 480 8Gb Gaming
CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33
Power Supply: Corsair RM650X

I know the video card, power supply and the CPU heatsink fans switch off automatically when the PC is not running heavy applications.

Now, keep in mind that I want a PC as quiet as possible, I know that if I take the case without window is better, however, with the components I chose, if you buy a version with the window while playing much noise do you hear? O will remain virtually inaudible if not making the case?

P.s. I don't want to install another fans.

Thanks a lot in advance!

CA_Steve

Re: Question about Windowed or not windowed case

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:10 am

Wander through the article archives (I don't have time at the moment) and you'll find a link to a test comparing the R4 to the windowed R4. If I remember correctly, there was a 0.5dB difference with the components used (in a sub 10dBA chamber). Will you notice this in the R5? Probably not. Assuming Fractal used the same materials in R5 as the R4.

Note: this isn't a general "yeah windowed cases are fine" statement as other mfgrs may or may not have the same build quality.