Medium size case with 2x 5.25" bays

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

MoJo

Medium size case with 2x 5.25" bays

Post by MoJo » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:00 am

Hi.

I'm building a Ryzen system, no overclocking, moderately powerful GPU for older games and 4k desktop, SSDs for storage. I could go for an mATX mobo but would prefer ATX. I'm looking for a case that is reasonably quiet, not too massive and has two 5.25" drive bays.

I have an optical drive and SATA docking bay thingy. Could replace both with USB if I can't find a good case, but why replace stuff that works great with more wires, power supplies and stuff on my desk?

Since I only use SSDs I prefer easy access 3.5"/2.5" bays, ideally side access trays or screwless.

Any suggestions?

MoJo

Re: Medium size case with 2x 5.25" bays

Post by MoJo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:27 am

I found something that looks perfect: https://en.sharkoon.com/product//M25-W

The Sharkoon M25. With or without window. 2x5.25" bays. Four positions for 2.5" SSDs and 3x 3.5" bays in the lower chamber. I've seen one in real life, it's quite compact and tidy. Buttons and USB ports on the front, ideal for under the desk.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:43 am

It is hard to tell how it would be for air flow - the front corners if they are grills - look pretty constrictive.

Good air flow is key for a quiet and cool system.

Here's a case I just found: the Nanoxia CoolForce 2: https://www.nanoxiausa.com/products/nan ... 9202750791

MoJo

Post by MoJo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:21 am

The airflow at the front isn't the best, but I think it will be okay. In person the mesh has relatively large holes, and there is an additional removable dust filter in front of the fans that sit behind it. If you watch the video you can see it for just a moment.

I like the one you found too. The only real down side is that the buttons and USB ports are on the top, but otherwise it's perfect. I'll see if the local shops have one for comparison.