My letter to EVGA, with some minor corrections

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

My letter to EVGA, with some minor corrections

Post by aristide1 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:59 pm

Sirs,

This is just a heads up. Recently NVidia GPUs became capable of folding proteins, which you are probably aware. I currently have 3 PCs running integrated video which are all candidates for video cards. The problem is that your rebate allows only 1 card to get a rebate. I will probably also update 2 of my systems to have 2 PCI X16 slots, so I have purchased 1 video card already and will be in the market for 4 more by the end of this year.

Any additional folding machines will be strictly 4 PCI X16 slots only, for 4 video cards each. The NVidia 8800GS is the most cost efficient GPU per watt currently, so you may see a spike in sales of this card and they are very few left to choose from.

I'd really hate to go buy 4 different brands of cards to obtain all of them at a reasonable price. And the last thing anybody should want is to penalize people who are try to cure terrible diseases, don't you think?

Folders should not be underestimated, here's one with 46-51 GPS running 24/7.
http://www.overclock.net/overclock-net- ... -farm.html

While I realize that there are higher profits per card with rebates, with many not filing correctly or filing at all, there is another consideration. If I have say 6 different brands to chose from and they are all within a few dollars of each other I would be inclined to buy the card that costs a few dollars more if that price didn't force me through the rebate process.

I do appreciate your excellent warranty.

Sincerely,
Me

(I neglected to mention the Sandisc rebates - the more you buy the more you get back. Now that's a way to increase sales.)