my sad little (but silent!) folding farm.

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JoeTheZombie

my sad little (but silent!) folding farm.

Post by JoeTheZombie » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:42 am

Huya gents!

Just a little intro to my silent folding farm!

First off, the 9550 + 9800GT silent cell is currently offline so my meat and potatoes isn't working. I am expecting over 6000ppd on that machine once I stop dickin' around with hackintosh fun-ness!

The P4HT @ 2.8 is simmering on a linux keydrive yielding 275PPD. It's an AGP machine, so my options are limited as far as the GPU. The good news is I have acquired a Radeon HD 4650 to pick up this weekend, so I hope to break 1000ppd on that machine soon! I just need to install the card and windows and place it back in the dark hole that it lives in to fold for humanity!

Lastly, is a Dell D600 laptop. It is broken... basically just a motherboard and a power brick. I have it tie-wrapped to the P4HT's case. :lol: It pulls in about 200PPD. :lol: Basically, I'm trying to burn this machine out. It is truly silent as the fan no longer works. It keeps plugging along though... I wonder how many units it can crunch before it dies. :twisted:

I certainly don't stand a chance to be in the same league as cordis and all the great 25k-ers, but maybe every once in a while, with a bit of luck in the breeze, i'll sneak into the top 10 24hr every now and then.

cordis

chin up!

Post by cordis » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:39 am

Hey, glad to hear from you, always good to have new people on the team. Keep on folding, you're doing a lot better than most of the non-folders on the list, keep it up and you'll be up there in no time! And thanks for the info on the P4HT, I have one of those too, but it's been my main windows XP machine for a long time, so I've been reluctant to wipe it an put linux on it. So you're getting 275ppd out of it, eh? That's interesting, I know I never got more than 150ppd or so off of it out with windows XP, always wondered what I'd get on linux. Mine's a 3GHz version, so it might get up to 300 ppd, I wonder if it's worth the power though. I've been thinking about upgrading it for a while. It's also interesting to hear about the AGP slot, I had an old dual PIII that I tried to fold on for a while, but even uniprocessor jobs were soo slow. I did try a PCI video card in it to see if it would fold, but I could never get it to work. So if you could get AGP folding working, that would be an interesting data point. Keep us posted if you can. Thanks! And thanks for the contributions, every little bit helps!

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:31 pm

I don't think it's sad, I think it shows your determination. We work with what we have. I got home and found 2 GPUs on my quad gpu setup asleep at the wheel (on 24 break because of EUE errors). Oh well I restarted them, and the second one I must have restarted 6 times, but when I left they were running again (looking at my watch while I say that.)

KansaKilla
Friend of SPCR

Post by KansaKilla » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:04 pm

No, no, no! Not sad! Brave, determined, persevering -- that's what it is!

Sure, we're making more points, but we also have more/better/faster/more expensive hardware. You're giving what you have and making it work better than it would otherwise. Maybe that means more, in the end, like the widow who gave all she had to the alms box in the temple. If the widow had folded for SPCR, she probably would have been using an old p4 laptop. With a broken fan. Zip-tied to a case.

Fold on.

JoeTheZombie

Post by JoeTheZombie » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:18 pm

KansaKilla wrote:No, no, no! Not sad! Brave, determined, persevering -- that's what it is!.
Yeah... I like the sound of that :)

Right now, only the broken d600 is folding. Just installed the HD 4650 into the p4ht, but it won't boot up from keydrive, and it has no dvd drive so i'm still trying to figure out how to get windows on it...

my main rig is up and running snow leopard. hackintosh for the win! now to get it folding again!... randwyck is pulling away from me, and etrounce is picking at my heels!