Uninstaller issue

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Uninstaller issue

Post by Das_Saunamies » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:59 am

I reinstalled the F@H client today because it was acting up, and the first uninstall and subsequent install went fine. Afterwards the problem that caused me to uninstall the first time reoccurred, and I decided to reinstall again.

The next thing I know is the uninstaller is uninstalling EVERYTHING in the installation folder root. EVERY FILE.

I managed to stop it before every single file was deleted, but I lost a lot. Restoring from backup now, count is over a hundred files already.

Has anyone else had this happen?

PS. File restore did fuck-all because the uninstaller probably wrecked the registry. I am less than pleased right now.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Re: Uninstaller issue

Post by frenchie » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:20 am

Strange ! Never had it happen to me... It's a pretty bad bug it seems. You should report it on the f@h forums so that they can look into it.
I've never had problems with the client, but the drivers seem to be a gamble...

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:55 pm

Was on my way to do it, but the main page was down on the Stanford website. I'll try again later today.
--
Edit1:

Things are underway; http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 6&p=234635. Apparently the "destroy everything" behaviour is by (poor) design. I *doubt* I was silly enough not to create a subdirectory (have not failed to do so since... 2001?), but if I was, here's your cautionary tale.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:38 pm

This is a common poor programming trait. You stop testing once the function works. Testing needs to include that the program does not do what it is not suppose to do. That can be very time consuming, but look at what happens with inadequate testing.

Idiots.