Rebuilding my rig SPCR style

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Dephcon

Rebuilding my rig SPCR style

Post by Dephcon » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:51 pm

Hello!

This is my first post here, but i've been reading up for a long time.

Ok so my current system consists of:

FX-55
XP-90 w/ 92mm L1BX
DFI Ultra-D
Enermax Noisetaker 470w
XFX 7950GT Extreme (Passive cooler)
Hitachi 80 + 250 GB 7k250 series HDs
NEC 3540A DVD-RW

And its all housed in my window modded Antec Full tower with 2x 80mm coolermaster riffle bearing led fans.

The XFX is a new edition last week and it really cut down the noise caused by the stock fan on my BFG 6600GT and i want to keep going. I've wanted to get my system quiet for a long time now and with this new vid card i think its do-able.

So what i plan to do is move my system into my Antec 3700AMB thats currently housing my hardly-ever used media server. I also plan to buy the following items:

Thermalright HR-05-SLI passive NB cooler
Scythe Ninja
2xCoolermaster 120 LED fans

I already bought the ninja used off the hardfroum (great deal) and i definatly want to order the hr-05 next week. The coolermasters appear to be a good noise:performace ratio and they are cheap. I plan to mount them in the 3700 using 1.5" screws and washers+hex nuts (as seen on these forums) with the grills cut out of course ;)

So up until here i think i'm on the right path (feel free to give me your opinion) but past here i'm not sure what to do...

My hard drives aren't the quietest on the market, I bought them at the time because they were the fastest. I'm not sure that the rubber mounts in the 3700 will be enough to cut the vibration, is it possible to suspend the both of them? and what materials do i need?

My power supply defiantly makes bearing noises. I'd love to buy a corsair 520-hx but after the videocard, ninja, nb cooler, and fans i'm tapped out. So i think i'm just goign to have to leave it and just try to make everything else as quiet as possible.

Dampening... Are there any cheap-ish sticky-backed foam materials i can pick up at home depot or something to help cut vibration and hopefully dull the seek noises of my HDDs?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dephcon

Post by Dephcon » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:03 am

no advice for me? how sad :cry:

I changed my mind about the HR-05-SLI... I can get the evercool vc-re for $9.60CAN vs $29.99. I'm sorta on the fence because i am overclocking and my nforce4 is running at 1.6v i believe and the default is 1.5. I'm just not sure the ervercool is good enough to stay cool and keep the RPMs down.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:52 am

2xCoolermaster 120 LED fans
You can get Yate Loons cheap from jeb-tech.com, don't know if shipping to Canada makes it more expensive than the Coolermasters.
I changed my mind about the HR-05-SLI... I can get the evercool vc-re for $9.60CAN vs $29.99. I'm sorta on the fence because i am overclocking and my nforce4 is running at 1.6v i believe and the default is 1.5. I'm just not sure the ervercool is good enough to stay cool and keep the RPMs down.
To be honest that evercool looks nasty, small heatsink + small fan = lots of noise. The HR-05 is in a whole 'nother league.
Dampening... Are there any cheap-ish sticky-backed foam materials i can pick up at home depot or something to help cut vibration and hopefully dull the seek noises of my HDDs?
Look for egg-crate foam (although because you have hot components, it might negatively affect temps).

Dephcon

Post by Dephcon » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:11 am

the coolermasters are pretty cheap. They're $5.40CAN which is really cheap compared to $25-35 for thoes brand name silent fans (nexus, etc).

I'll have to see if i can get Yate Loons shipped here for cheap, i'm not too concerned about the leds since i definatly wont be modding on a window this time.

Dephcon

Post by Dephcon » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:16 am

Jab-tech does ship to canada and the D12SL-12 are on sale for $3.50USD which is pretty good. It'll cost me a bit more so are the yates significantly better?

Thanks

*edit* they have to hr-05-sli for a decient price too... I think this might be the best way to go unless i can find yate loons for sale in canada

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:42 am

*edit* they have the hr-05-sli for a decent price too... I think this might be the best way to go unless i can find yate loons for sale in canada
Yeah, I just priced up 3 Yate Loons + HR-05 SLI shipped to Canada, comes out at $41.70(US) which is pretty excellent really. The Yate Loons are pretty much the favourite fan here (they're the same model as the Nexus 120mm, just slightly higher max rpm).

Dephcon

Post by Dephcon » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:45 am

what about the Noctua S12-1200s? I found one candian e-tailer selling them for 13.99CAN and according to the latest fan roundup, they are the bees knees.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:35 am

That's a good price (is that including shipping?) but the thing is you might not see the benefit of such quiet fans if your power supply is still noisy. You will probably need 1 CPU fan and 1 case fan, so work out the costs for both scenarios and see which suits you best.

Dephcon

Post by Dephcon » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:24 am

thats true. But if they are better i might as well since i will probably replace my psu later on when i've got more money to throw arround. The plan rihgt now its to have a front and rear case fan and a fan on the ninja. Then depending on the temps i might remove the rear fan.

I am overclocking the fx-55 so i might need the extra fan.

PS thanks a lot for your input so far. :D