Corsair HX520 vs. Coolmax cf-480w

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Which one should I buy? Corsair Hx520 or Coolmax cf-480w

Corsair Hx520
100%
Coolmax cf-480w
No votes
Another Fanless Psu?
No votes

Total votes: 2

belkincp

Corsair HX520 vs. Coolmax cf-480w

Post by belkincp » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:12 am

Whihc one should I buy...I live in a small dorm where my room is basically size of a bedroom...and my computer is inside with..my computer psu is so loud...
I keep the computer about 6 feet away from my chair.

Is coolmax cf-480w stable enough...I dont have any tower fans, only the cpu one. Would the coolmax acutally die on me if it got too hot..or would it just shut off by itself?

Corsair hx520 is the best newest technology... plus its quietest psu with fan... Im not sure how quiet is...u never know until its running in ur room how loud it will be...

belkincp

someone please help me??? let me know what u think..vote or

Post by belkincp » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:01 am

idk what to do?

kater

Post by kater » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:11 am

if you specify what system you run it'll be easier to choose a suitable psu. the corsair is indeed one of the very best psus on the market both in terms of quietness and performance. it is simply great. but... you probably don't need its 520w - it's a lot of power, way too much for majority of us. fanless psus are indeed quieter (unless you get one with buzzing electronics) but may be a little tricky to work with for not so experienced users, and especially in not so perfect cases with not so perfect airflow. there's a lot of people here running passive fortron zen (same as amacrox calmer or silentmaxx fanless) or silverstone nightjar psus, but they do have well designed cases with carefully chosen components etc. there's even more ppl around with activelly cooled but effectively inaudible psus like seasonic s12, antec neohe or the like. even tho these psus have fans they are impossible to hear from 1m, and still have enough power to run modern computers.

belkincp

so

Post by belkincp » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:43 am

would u say...if the hx520 was 5 feet away from my ear..could i hear it at 22 decibels?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:30 am

Hello,

This is a duplicate thread -- post responses here, please.