It's been that long I feel like a Newbie

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Memony

It's been that long I feel like a Newbie

Post by Memony » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:33 pm

! :?

It's been a while since I was last on here quietening my PC away... A good high end system it was, XP3200, 1Gig PC3200 DDR XMSPro, 9800Pro etc...

Anyway, time for an upgrade. The case etc are being recycled with the following being swapped in...

E6600 C2D
Gigabyte DS3P (rev 3.3)
2Gig TwinX DDR2 6400
MSI 7900GS (passive H/S)

Which leaves me with a CPU heatsink quandry.

Current machine has a Thermalright SP97 with a 92mm fan and fan controllers all round.

I'm a bit put of by the Scythe... its huge, must be kinda how the girls felt around John Holmes :shock: . I'm not sure if 3/4 of a Kilo of metal in the case is what I'd be after, but what are the recommendations apart from this, how do the bigger 120's fit on the Mobo's etc? are the 90's still adequate...

All suggestions gratefully received :D

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:44 pm

Your cooling needs are modest, probably no greater than with your old system. Anything in the recommended HS list that rates 6 or higher will do fine. As for noise, the quietest are the Scythe and Nexus 120 fans (and maybe a couple others), and the 120s do move a lot more air for the same noise.

Welcome back, btw. ;)

Memony

Post by Memony » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:52 pm

Good to be back... been lurking for a while though ;)

Leaning to a TR SI128 at the moment, but all these towers are kind of offputting, afterall it's just a thin bit of plastic its fixed to!