Current Micro ATX microfly case is killing me help

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jkm

Current Micro ATX microfly case is killing me help

Post by jkm » Fri May 25, 2007 3:40 pm

Wow, is this place a relief for my poor ears. My current case is ruining my ablity to enjoy doing anything with my computer. Sure my room is around 80 degrees but still, I mean really, wtf p.c?

Anyway

I currently have a
asus micro atx mobo
x2 4600 am2 cpu with stock cooler
stock psu ultra 400 watt
stock case fans
the temp of my cpu is usually around 35c idle and never above 48c under full load
besides my computer there is no other noise in my room
temp in my room is usually around 80-78f

I already have the first step planned out 8600 gts silent pipe 3 from gigabyte to replace my 6800 gt.

I just need some help with the rest.

I am willing to have a case of any size as long as its cool and I am willing to shell out $$ for new case fans, case (duh), new cpu cooler (as to how to get off the one thats on my cpu now, I have no idea) maybe even a new psu.

But as of right now, I don't even want to turn the noisy mofo on.

any help would be great.

thanks.

psiu

Post by psiu » Fri May 25, 2007 6:22 pm

Well, one of the first things you will want to do is the "finger test".

Open it up, turn it on, and then stop each fan for a second or two to see which ones are the main culprits.

Looking at Microfly uatx cases, I see 80mm intake and 120mm exhaust. Both are probably at a full 12V, and may not be very quiet models.

So definitely start poking (the hub! not the blades!) and report back :)

jkm

Post by jkm » Fri May 25, 2007 7:36 pm

Will do.

Thanks.

Meato

Post by Meato » Fri May 25, 2007 10:16 pm

I'm running a Tt BlueOrbII for heatsink with stock fans and its pretty quiet. When money and time permits, I'm swapping the stock fans for a 92mm and 120mm Nexus. If you go with a cooler such as the BlueOrbII you will need the mobo installed first and then the cooler. The mobo tray won't slide into place as the cooler installed is wider than the opening to slide the tray in. Major pain but doable.

jkm

Post by jkm » Sat May 26, 2007 4:48 am

If I go for the passivly cooled graphics card its going to dump tons of heat into the case so I think I am going to need a new case.

themadmilkman

Post by themadmilkman » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:01 am

jkm wrote:If I go for the passivly cooled graphics card its going to dump tons of heat into the case so I think I am going to need a new case.
Unless the fanned video card pumps the hot air directly out of the box, you're going to be putting the same amount of heat into the case. The only difference is that the fanless card MIGHT need more air movement to keep the temperatures within an acceptable range.