It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Having problems in putting all the pieces together (F1!)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:09 am 

Hi,

I've assembled computers in the past (the last one was 2 years ago or so), but this is the first time that I'm being confronted with these peculiarities.

1) I've got a Corsair HX620 and all of its cables are completely black. As such, I'm unable to know which way I should connect the cable to for my old ATA devices. The last time I assembled a computer I used to place the ATA data cable red ribon facing the power cable's red ribon. The power cable used to be red-orange-yellow-black, but now all the cables are black!!! Won't I damage the system if I connect it incorrectly?

2) Asus P5B Deluxe allows me to connect either a 4 pin or an 8 pin power cable to the EATX connector. My PSU has both types of cables, so which should I use? Am I in trouble if I use one instead of the other?

3) I have an Antec P182 in which the PSU lies in the lower compartment. This organization of components makes impossible to connect the +12V power cord and unfortunately I'm having trouble in finding an extension. My question is: can I buy an 8-pin plug and socket and make my own cable extension? Or does it requires anything special? Well, so far I saw that it needs a proper shaped plug because half the pins are squared and the other half is rounded.
PS: if you know where I can buy such cable in Portugal, let me know! =)

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Having problems in putting all the pieces together (F1!)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:34 am 
Friend of SPCR

monkey.d.luffy wrote:
1) Won't I damage the system if I connect it incorrectly?

Power cables are all keyed. They only go in one way, have a look and see.

monkey.d.luffy wrote:
2) Asus P5B Deluxe allows me to connect either a 4 pin or an 8 pin power cable to the EATX connector. My PSU has both types of cables, so which should I use? Am I in trouble if I use one instead of the other?

They both would work, but use the 8-pin. Tuck the 4-pin above the PSU.

monkey.d.luffy wrote:
3) I have an Antec P182 in which the PSU lies in the lower compartment. This organization of components makes impossible to connect the +12V power cord and unfortunately I'm having trouble in finding an extension.

You don't need an extension with a P182, that PSU, and a P5B-D. Run the 8-pin up behind the mobo, and come out back thru the opening in the tray. In a P180 you have to make your own hole, or get an extension to route it nicely.

Have fun!

Post subject: Re: Having problems in putting all the pieces together (F1!)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:53 pm 

Plissken wrote:
monkey.d.luffy wrote:
1) Won't I damage the system if I connect it incorrectly?

Power cables are all keyed. They only go in one way, have a look and see.
You're right :oops: I was so focused at looking at each pin that I misslooked the connector as a whole. Two of its corners are diagonal (ehh... you know what I mean).

Plissken wrote:
monkey.d.luffy wrote:

They both would work, but use the 8-pin. Tuck the 4-pin above the PSU.
Done!

Plissken wrote:
monkey.d.luffy wrote:
3) I have an Antec P182 in which the PSU lies in the lower compartment. This organization of components makes impossible to connect the +12V power cord and unfortunately I'm having trouble in finding an extension.

You don't need an extension with a P182, that PSU, and a P5B-D. Run the 8-pin up behind the mobo, and come out back thru the opening in the tray. In a P180 you have to make your own hole, or get an extension to route it nicely.
It worked! :shock: :P Nevertheless it still was a though call. I had to cut the original cable bracer/tie that held the un-detachable cables. I was dumb by assembling the Ultra 120 in the first place, as it was difficult now to pull that one off.

Plissken wrote:
Have fun!
fun... :lol: This one has been more work than I paid for.. heh
Well, I'm off to power the system now... let's hope it works.

Thanks for your precious help!!!