Can i replace the 120mm fan in my PSU??

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

un1eash

Can i replace the 120mm fan in my PSU??

Post by un1eash » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:38 am

Ive built myself a new PC and i'm abit of a newbie, I'm using a andy samurai cpu heatsink, 2x 80mm akasa silent amber fans on the rear and 2x 80mm nexus silent fans on the front. Everything is quiet apart from the PSU which is a Ezcool 650w silent psu, which isnt really that silent.

Is it possible to just replace the psu fan for one which is alot quieter or should i spend some money and get a corsair hx520??

Cheers

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:01 pm

Hello & welcome to SPCR!

Yes, you can replace it, but depending on your skills, it may require a little wire splicing and possible soldering. The controller will still be (probably) too fast, though with a slower -- and quieter running fan, it may get you through. I would get the new Corsair VX450...

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:15 pm

Fan replacement is worth a try if you can handle the work w/o killing the PSU and the PSU didn't cost a lot. Get a quiet ball or hybrid bearing fan -- sleeve bearing fans don't like to be positioned blowing up/down. The NMB-MAT RB-12025-L (from http://www.dorothybradbury.co.uk/) is a good choice.

Make sure the PSU is unplugged and left unconnected for an hour or so to be on the safe side. If you use a very low speed fan, depending on how the fan voltage controller works, the fan might not spin up right away when power is applied due to too low a voltage. However, if it uses a thermal controller like just about every PSU out there, the voltage will rise as the PSU heats up and the fan will start turning.

How "safe" is this? Well, your PSU might run a bit hotter than normal, but I bet you'll move on to another PC before that PSU dies on you.

un1eash

Post by un1eash » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:09 am

Thanks for the advice, will the corsair 450w have enough power for my system? I had a look at my psu last nite and might give it a try swapping out the fan, i'm pretty handy with a soldering iron.

My budget spec....
AMD 6000+ @ 3.24ghz
Sycthe Andy Samurai cooler
2gb DDR 667mhz RAM
Asrock ALIVESATA2-GLAN Mobo
500gb SATA2 HD
External usb 320gb HD
2x DVD/RW
ATI X1950Pro Graphics
USB 2.0 Pci card.
4x 80mm fans, Zalman VF700 graphics cooler.
5x usb devices (pda,mobile,bluetooth etc...)

Cheers

mexell

Post by mexell » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:38 am

The VX450 can handle almost any non-quadcore, non-SLI/Crossfire system. That's for sure.
Let's open a rough calculation:

CPU (it's overclocked): I would say 100-120W
GPU: 70-80W
Mainboard incl. RAM: maybe 50W
DVD: on demand, 10-15W each
HDD: 10W
fans: maybe another 10W
external HDD: doesn't count due to own PSU

So, if you're gaming, folding and copying from two DVD drives at the same time, you'll have maximum 300W peak. The PSU is rated for 450... so where's the problem?