Smoke for testing airflow

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tucansam

Smoke for testing airflow

Post by tucansam » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:06 pm

Can anyone recommend a product that will generate a controlled amount of visible smoke (not steam as I don't think it would be the safest) in order to test airflow? Similar to what they use in wind tunnels except on a much smaller scale, suitable for testing a case for leaks, proper flow, amount of linger time over components, etc?

Thanks.

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:18 pm

seemingly.random

Post by seemingly.random » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:08 am

Seeing where the air flows rather than guessing with countless tests would be so informative but the side effects/residuals + the need for some kind of window have stopped me from persuing it. I wonder if any of the pc equipment manufacturers do it.

Sainty

Post by Sainty » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:02 pm

I'm thinking about getting a sheet of plexiglass and putting it up against the case frame. Once that's done I'll use a small incense bowl and turn on the fans inside the case. Of course, if you have a windowed case that makes it a little easier. :)

seemingly.random

Post by seemingly.random » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:31 pm

Sainty: Please post pics if you do the smoke test.

Sainty

Post by Sainty » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:45 pm

Sure thing, it wouldn't be any fun without some images! :lol:

I'm afraid that I won't be testing this thing out right away, as the Scythe Ninja rev B I ordered may be problematic with my LGA 775 mobo. (See my other posts from my profile)

Any smoke test should be done with all components installed to get the best idea of where the air is going and where it is not. Until I decide to either keep the ninja rev b or opt for another heatsink the smoke test will have to wait.

The smell of new computer parts in the room is overwhelming enough as it is! :shock: :D

In the meantime, if anyone else has BBQ'ed their PC, we want to see some pics already! :lol:

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:11 pm

just smoke a freakin cigarette.

cloves are nice. not Djarum black, those are mostly tobacco, just the djarum white/red pack.

or a pipe. I have some nice amaretto pipe smoke. smells like cherry but a bit more mystical.