It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Embarassing newbie question about fans
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:39 pm 

So I'm rebuilding my computer to make it more silent, and as I'm fiddling with cable management (which I'm horrible at) and cursing the unruly cables coming out of my Nexus fan I got to wondering:

Does the 3pin connector that I connect to the motherboard provide power?

What I've done now is I've connected my fans to the motherboard and then also connected the big 4pin connectors. Now I wonder if I've done it wrong all this time.

I've googled for a good half hour without finding any information at all, seemingly this is such basic knowledge that I feel like a bumbling fool.
I thought that the article anatomy of a fan would help me, but while it was informative it didn't talk about those things.

So please help me spcr, what are the workings of a fan (especially the nexus real silent 120mm)? What parts do in reality go where and if some parts are useless, can I somehow cut them off? (though live bared wires inside my computer would spell doom, I'm sure).

I'm trying to emulate cmthompsons exquisite build but I can't figure out how the cables go at all. So tips on cable management would be appreciated as well.

I know this is asking a lot, but I suddenly feel like a big fool.

Thank you in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:44 pm 

Uhm... Yes, you've done it wrong :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:05 pm 
Friend of SPCR

Connect either the 3 pin or 4 pin, do not connect both as this is redundant. Yes you could probably cut the other one off, but it's better to just ziptie the other part up so it's not in the way.

Main: I5-3570K at 3.7ghz, 16GB [email protected], Asrock Z77 Extreme6, Corsair 330R, Seasonic 760XP2, Sapphire Radeon 7950| Secondary/Lan: Core i3-2100, 4GB, Msi H67MA-E35, Radeon 6790, Sugo SG02| HTPC: Core i3-2100, 4GB, AsRock H67M-ITX/HT, Antec ISK300-65| NAS: Core I3-2100, 8GB, Antec TP-550, Lian Li PC-Q08B, 4X2TB WD Green| Lappy: Latitude D620 Core 2 T7600, Quadro NVS 110M