Antec Trupower Trio 650W - Fan Only Connectors

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ikklepaul

Antec Trupower Trio 650W - Fan Only Connectors

Post by ikklepaul » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:45 pm

I have just built my first silent pc, using a Antec P182 case and an Antec Trupower Trio 650W PSU. I have attached the top two chassie fans to the fan only connectors.

The problem is they are running really slow. I believe this is due to the PSU thermally controlling them. Reading on web i have taken the advise to set both fans to high.

Will the system be ok to run these fans from these connectors or am i best to use the normal molex ones and control the fan speed via the external speed selection. Im worried tho that these won't provide enough cooling for my cpu, as im going to be overclocking the chip.

Also as the psu is in a seperate comparment, will it control the temperature and fan speed from the temperature by the PSU. Please explain how these work.

The pc is ultra silent using these connectors but are the fans providing adequate cooling.

Im new to building silent pcs, so please be gentle.

Dutchmm

No such thing as a stupid question ....

Post by Dutchmm » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:39 pm

You need to make a choice between letting the PSU control your fans, and controlling them via the switches that Antec provides (look at the bottom paragraph on page 5 of the P182 manual).

What this translates to - in your situation - is that you could set the lower fan on high, and connect it to the fan only connector. That way, airflow in the bottom compartment is regulated by the temperature in the PSU. One downside is that the PSU is also regulating the airflow over an HDDs in the lower enclosure; whether or not that matters will depend on the applications you are running. I never saw HDD temperature problems with home applications when I was running Windows; and now I run Linux, I don't have a sensor on these temps.

For the fans in the upper enclosure, it makes less sense to allow their speed to be regulated by the PSU - the temp in the upper enclosure is by design independent of the PSU. So, you could connect the fans to a molex, and use the switches on the rear of the casing. I warn you, though, that unless you have these switches set to low, you will probably be able to hear the fans spinning. Alternatively, you could connect the fans via a fan speed regulator - like this - and then set the rear panel switches to high.

HTH

Mike

ikklepaul

Post by ikklepaul » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:11 am

Thanks for the help.

For now im running the lower chassie fan by the PSU from the fan only connector and running the top 2 fans from the molex power supply cables on low.

Think i may look into one of those fan controllers, wil need to buy some 4 pin molex to 3 pin fan convertors first tho