Dumb-sounding question

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ticktockhouse

Dumb-sounding question

Post by ticktockhouse » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:12 am

Hi

For better or worse, I have an Asus p2-m2a690g case (I liked the original Asus Pundits for various reasons). My question is this: I plan to try and replace the stock case fan with something quieter. Apparently it is a fairly noisy 70x15 mm fan. One of the only 70x15 fans I've been able to find is a chassis fan. Will this suffice to replace the current CPU fan?

Will it work?

Thanks

Jerry

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:30 am

A fan is a fan.....so if the fan is the right size and blows enough air, it should work. Some fans use sleeve bearings rather than ball bearings, so their life-span is reduced. Some fans blow through tight fins better, due to their blade design.

Actually you have a somewhat limited choice of fans of that size. If it's possible, try to fit an 80mm fan in there. There are hundreds of different fans of 80mm, and very few of 70mm. If you can find one, a 70x25mm will be quieter.

The loudest fan I own is a 70x15mm Thermaltake....came out of a server case. Absolutely horrible.......

antifro

Post by antifro » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:25 am

Yes, most fans have standard mounting holes, so your replacement should fit. However, keep in mind that the main way to quiet a fan is to slow its rate of spin. This will also cut down on the amount of air exhausted out of the case, which will increase your temperatures.

this is why SPCR recommends 120mm fans as much as possible. 120mm fan spinning at half the speed of an 80mm fan will still push more air. However since you want to keep your case, this does not pertain to you... just thought you might keep that in mind when buying your next case.

ticktockhouse

Post by ticktockhouse » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:54 am

Thanks for your insights guys,

Here's the one I'm thinking of getting. It appears to be able to control its own speed, and should fit the case:

http://www.stuff-uk.net/?s=ST-AK-179BKT-C

If I may pick your brains further....

My other box is an Antec p182, with an AMD BE-2400 in it. However, as a silence n00b, I had no idea the stock AMD coolers were so damn noisy :roll:

I have a nice quiet PSU (Seasonic S12 Series 380W PSU) Since I have a limited budget, I plan to get a Zalman CNPS7500-CU LED, and that should pretty much do the trick, n'est-ce pas?

Thanks

J

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:19 am

I plan to get a Zalman CNPS7500-CU LED, and that should pretty much do the trick, n'est-ce pas?
Zalman fans are notoriously rubbish (not the heatsink itself, just the fans). Scythe Mine is cheaper and quieter: link. has been reviewed by SPCR, IIRC it's on the recommended list?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:40 am

Your 70mm fan pick is likely to be the loudest thing in your case.....by far. Internal fan controls rarely work well.....they mostly operate in the upper rpm ranges, so you can expect 4-5k much of the time. Nasty sounds....

FlorisNielssen

Post by FlorisNielssen » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:44 am

Your BE-2400 uses only 45W, so a huge cooler isn't necessary. If you want it cheap I'd recommend the Arctic Cooling Alpine 7. It's quiet, cheap, and performs well for you CPU.
If you want to spend more money you can try a Nina/Ninja Mini. Then you can run it passive (without a fan on the heatsink).

About the fan:
I don't know much about the Akasa fan you mentioned. SPCR also hasn't mentioned it in a review.
As pointed out, your best shot probably is a 80mm fan. I'll probably work if you drill some holes. 70mm fans are too rare to find a decent one.