Spent 50$ on cooling supplies and screwed up. It's too loud

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Satummoo

Spent 50$ on cooling supplies and screwed up. It's too loud

Post by Satummoo » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:16 am

I should have consulted here but for some reason, I had the ambition to "just buy it" b/c I always spend days researching stuff. Well I bought the following:

2x Artic Cooling 120mm fans
Artic Cooling Freezer 64

Well, doing some research, I knew I was taking a risk on the CPU heatsink that it may not fit my Antec Fusion case, but i thought that it may just slightly bend the top of the case but still fit it. Well it tottaly doesn't fit so i'm outa ideas here.

The 2 fans are way too loud. I bought them because the cables were sleeved.

Are there any solutions to quiet my system? I currently have the budget artic cooling heatsink which is pretty nice but Under the bios settings of my mobo, I tried turning down the % of the fans but it didn't help much.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:19 pm

I've built some pretty quiet PCs using similar hardware. AC Freezer 64 (or 7) and AC 92mm PWM fans. I can see the AC fans being a bit loud at full speed. But they should be very quiet when dropped to a more reasonable speed. Sounds to me like your motherboard might just not have a very good speed controller. You may need an external one like a zalman fanmate or something. The only way I see getting new fans to fix your problem would be if you bought something like the Scythe ones that max at 800rpms.

What motherboard and CPU do you have?

Satummoo

Post by Satummoo » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:31 pm

I have an Abit Nview 6150 chipset mATX
with a 3600+ Brisbane @ stock clock 1900mhz

The board won't even do C&Q with overclocking so I just run it stock to conserve power.

I'd hate to buy new fans but are there any programs that can reduce the fan speed or any bios modifications?

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:26 pm

Satummoo wrote:I'd hate to buy new fans but are there any programs that can reduce the fan speed or any bios modifications?
Speedfan would be one to start. I don't know if Abit's uGuru is compatible with your motherboard or not, but you may want to look at that.

Satummoo

Post by Satummoo » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:34 pm

I tried doing that but it doesn't seem the work with x64 XP :-(

is there anything simple I'm missing?

Otherwise I might just buy some syth 800rpm fans
and try to sell the rest and get some of my moeny back

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:43 am

Generally, when posting a question like this, it's a good idea to post your system specs and OS, so people know where to better direct you.

In this case, you could always buy a fan controller to dial down your fan speeds to your liking. Then buy the slipstreams if it's still too loud.

Others can provide better input on the best/cheapest fan controllers.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:19 am

Hi,

Zalman FanMate2 would be the cheapest and the best controller I know of -- unless you can do the mods on a Molex 'Y' splitter. These are even cheaper than a FanMate 2, and you can make one side for 5v and the other for 7v.

Satummoo

Post by Satummoo » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:18 pm

quick question, are these fans good?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835103022

seem like a great deal and according to the stats they seem quiet, But i know you can't always trust the specs

johnniecache7

Post by johnniecache7 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:44 pm

No LED fan tend to resonant due to the materials they are made of.Which explains why there two for nine dollars. You would want these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835185057 or any of the other SPCR recommend fans http://www.silentpcreview.com/article63-page2.html .