Linksys 2024 24 port switch

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Target

Linksys 2024 24 port switch

Post by Target » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:27 am

Howdy all,

This is my first post here. I'm starting a pretty big home automation project, and I recently purchased a Linksys 2024. Not sure if anyone has used these, but the first time I turned it on it sounded like a vacuum cleaner. It is ungodly loud for such a small device.

Does anyone have this switch? Has anyone tinkered with it, and perhaps replaced the fan? Even if you haven't, should replacing the fan help with the noise? This is going to be centrally located in the house enough that I'm worried that the noise will be a bother.

Thanks,

Target

PS I did a forum search and didn't turn anything up. If this has been discussed, please just point me in the right direction!

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:49 am

If you're not worried about voiding your warranty, you might be able to replace the fan with a Scythe Mini Kaze (I assume the fan size is 40mm), but it puts out almost no air.

Target

Post by Target » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:54 am

I picked this up from ebay for a killer price, so I don't think I have a warrantee to worry about voiding. Have you ever replaced the fan in a switch?

My worry is that the problem isn't the fan, but rather, its something else. If replacing the fan will fix the problem, then I am all for that.

Also, if I switch to a fan with very low air output, will this lead to heat issues?

Thanks,

Target

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:07 am

Target wrote:Have you ever replaced the fan in a switch?
Nope, but I once boosted the power of a WiFi router to get better signal, which makes it run a lot hotter. Didn't fry it, but I was being somewhat conservative.
Target wrote:Also, if I switch to a fan with very low air output, will this lead to heat issues?
Maybe...you'll have to try and see. Maybe take the top of the case off first and see how the airflow works and what parts get the hottest under normal usage. That will give you a better idea of what needs to be cooled by how much and what the best way to get the required airflow will be.

Target

Post by Target » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:22 am

I guess I'll just put this project on hold until I get the switch mounted and running, and see how bad the noise is.

Thanks a ton,

Target