New Computer Making High-Pitched Sound

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

FordGT

New Computer Making High-Pitched Sound

Post by FordGT » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:44 am

I just built my first computer and there is a certain noise driving me crazy!!! It actually hurts my ears because its so high frequency. Almost like a dog whistle. My friends can't hear it but I can. Then again, they can hear lower bass notes where I can't. My last computer sounded like a prop plane with its 80mm fans and the smaller, faster fan on the CPU. Maybe I'm just hearing normal computer sounds now that I didn't before?

I've also found the hard drive to be a bit noisy. When seeking(which it does a lot) it makes a high pitch sound not quite as high as the other sound. I have checked all the fans including the power supply fan and they're quiet. The 8800 GTS can also make this sound, or so I've heard.

System specs are as follows:

Intel Q6600
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L
G.Skill DDR2 1000 2x2GB memory
Zotac 8800 GTS 320mb
Antec Earthwatts 500W PSU
Western Digital 640GB WD6400AAKS
Samsung SH-S223F DVD burner

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:21 pm

It might be coil whine. Open the case and try to isolate where exactly does the noise come from.

FordGT

Post by FordGT » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:30 pm

I took a cardboard tube and discovered the sound was coming from my power supply. It wasn't very loud but it was annoying to say the least!

I bought a new power supply, almost the same model but it's the EA500 instead of the EA500D. The EA500 is made by Seasonic. The EA500D is made by Delta. Needless to say, that solved the problem.

I still hear a very high pitch sound though sometimes. Most likely from my 10 year old 17" CRT or my 8800GTS 320.

Is a symptom of coil whine when you move the mouse the frequency changes? Because that's what it did. When I dragged windows it would become lower and when running folding at home it would become somewhat quieter!