Newbie P-182 config question

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Spek

Newbie P-182 config question

Post by Spek » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:12 pm

hello guys,

had my 182 for a month or so now and v. unhappy with the noise levels.
the issue is the stock fans. i now know this because when i run the stock intel cooler on silent or performance modes and the rpm reduces according but there is no audible difference in noise levels.

i only have the top and back fans installed on lowest settings

after more research i have decided to do the following and want to run it by the experienced p-182 users first to check this is the way to go:

(i) rip out the top fan and seal the hole with thick foam. any suggestions for material to plug the hole with?
(ii) replace the back fan with the Noctura 120mm NF - 12. however which rpm noctura to get: 800 or 1200 rpm?

i am not overclocking but running cpu hungry audio applications like cubase.

my cpu is Q9450 and power supply is corsair 650 watt with two large SATA II HD.

suggestions on fan rpm type and sound insulation much appreciated before i order parts.

thanks so much.

spek
Last edited by Spek on Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:45 pm

Hi,
No idea for the top hole foam..
For the back fan, I have the 1200 rpm version and I'm very happy with it.

Spek

Post by Spek » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:52 am

thanks frenchie. i am thinking that if i disconnect the top fan and block the hole - as some are suggetsing - i should maybe use a higher rpm fan as it would be the only chasis fan in the box. maybe the 800 rpm noctura would not be suitable??

i notice that noctura also make an 1800 rpm fan that may also be an option.

just unsure how much air i need to push through the p-182 with just the rear fan installed.

any other ideas?

bump

spek

ps frenchie - have you removed the top fan?

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:22 am

Hi,
I don't have that case (I have a solo)... But I do use Noctua fans and I'm more than happy with them.
To help you decide, here is a copy/paste from the Noctua.at website :

"
If we examine the three parameters depending on RPM, we can see the following:
The NF-S12 produces less noise than the NF-P12, especially at lower speeds. At 1100 rpm and over, the difference starts to become less significant though.
Whereas the NF-P12 provides more airflow than the NF-S12 at above 1100 rpm, it's the other way round at 1000 rpm and less.
The NF-P12 produces significantly more static pressure at all speeds.
From this, we can draw the following conclusions:
While the NF-S12 delivers less static pressure, it provides a better Airflow/Noise ratio at lower speeds. Therefore, it's perfectly suited for case ventilation as well as all applications which don't demand high static pressure and where maximum quietness is the first priority. At higher speeds such as those which can be required for CPU cooling however, the NF-P12's airflow/noise ratio is the same (or even better at 1300 rpm and over). As a result, the NF-P12 should be the first choice at above 1200 rpm as well as for all applications which demand high static pressure.
"

I think another really important thing you should do (if you haven't already done so) if to make sure your fans are decoupled from the case. Noctua fans come with soft grommets that work well.

What kind of CPU cooler do you use (the sotck one I think right ?) ? Is there anything generating much heat on your setup (like a very hot GPU ?
If you don't have anything very hot, you don't need much exhaust CFM.

Btw, rpm doesn't really matter since it doesn't always have a direct link to the amount of air it can move, it's better to talk about CFM I think. for example, at 1300 rpm, the NF-S12 moves 54 CFM when the NF-R8 at 1300 rpm moves 33 CFM

xev

Post by xev » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:08 pm

to plug the top whole you can use something like a block of foam and tape/glue it in place.
Or something less permanent would be a mouse mat on top (or cut out and glue to inside) , some tape, or a book on top.

What cpu cooler and fan do you have? If it's stock I would recommend something like the Thermalright HR-01 Plus.

Spek

Post by Spek » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:14 pm

thanks guys. i have ordered the NSF 12 as i hope to be able to run the fan about 800 - 1000 rpm.

right now i just have the stock intel cooler. not sure how noisey it is because i cannot hear it over the noise of the antec chasis fans. i am hopeful that at running the intel cooler at 800 rpm it wont make too mcu noise but i will deal with that after i swap the existing fan out and plug the hole.

i am going to block the top hole with high density rubber.

will let you know how things turn out.

Spek

victorhortalives
*Lifetime Patron*

1. Fans. 2. Top opening

Post by victorhortalives » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:55 am

1. Suggest you get the 1200rpm version. I don't have Noctua but I do have Scythe FDB fans both 800 and 1200. The 1200 has a greater dynamic range of voltage control i.e. it's possible to undervolt further before it stalls. Noise level for either can be made to be the same but more range with the 1200rpm. Is it the same with Noctua ? More than likely. I run the 1200rpm versions at 600rpm, but the 800rpm versions have to run at 700rpm.

2. Depends on what you want to do. I have a top fan that is turned off unless I am stressing the CPU, c.f gaming. I have a piece of card installed in the underside of the detachable plastic cap. On the underneath of the card is a piece of Acoustipack. The effectively pushes all top fan noise to the side and rear (mostly the rear).

I have a silent CPU cooler (Minja) so it doesn't matter about the top fan noise, but you might want to block the top vent completely unless you switch CPU coolers.