Part Incompatibility Issue

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Tendymion

Part Incompatibility Issue

Post by Tendymion » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:15 am

First of all I wanted to say thank you for the creation of this site. I have lurked here for a few years trying to learn what I could about buying a quiet/silent system, and it has helped me a great deal!
The reason for this post is that I need a bit of clarification on an issue that has turned up in my parts selection.
I recently went to memory express and placed an order for a system to be assembled. I received a call shortly after where a tech informed me that there was an incompatibility issue between my choice of motherboard and cpu cooler.
The motherboard i ordered was the Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.0. The cpu cooler was the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (v2 or v3 I believe). From what i can tell there should NOT be any incompatibility between these 2 items. Now my computer knowledge is nothing more than casual, so i hoped i could get some feedback here on the issue.
Thanks in advance!

ces

Re: Part Incompatibility Issue

Post by ces » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:58 pm

Take a look at
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=start
heatsinks.

Noctua does a fairly thorough job of charting motherboard compatibility of its heat sinks. For example here is the compatibility list for their NH-U12P, which is approximately the size of the thermalright you are looking at.
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=comp ... =31&lng=en

They don't just indicate compatibility, but also have comments about the nature of the incompatibilities. I am unaware of any heat sink company that is so thorough about this.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:23 pm

You also have to consider the case size as to whether the CPU cooler will fit. In addition to feedback on this site, I would check reviews on NewEgg and other sites to see if anyone mentions which motherboard they installed the CPU cooler on, and whether they encountered any problems.

However, if Memory Express is assembling the unit for you, it is up to them to decide what is acceptable compatibility and what is not acceptable. In some situations, the CPU cooler will block one of the memory slots, which may or may not be a problem depending on how many memory slots you are using (but on Asus boards, you can't use only the two that are furthest away from the CPU if you want dual channel memory).

Tendymion

Post by Tendymion » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:15 pm

Thank you all for the comments. In terms of the case being an issue, I have ordered the Antec P183 v3, its actually the one part that the store had to special order. Considering the size of the case i do not think it is a "room" issue:)
As pointed out, i will ultimately have to accept what the tech has said. Again, thank you all for the feedback