Getting a computer from work

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

TomAxel

Getting a computer from work

Post by TomAxel » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:53 am

Hey everyone, I'm getting a computer built from my employer using a site which lets you build your own from a limited set of choices, which gives me not so big of a range of CPU coolers to choose from.
It's a very nice computer, but I'm thinking stock CPU would be the loudest component. What I have to choose from aside from that is:

Antec Kuhler H2O 920
Corsair H40 Hydro Series
Corsair H60 Hydro Series
Corsair H80 Hydro Series

Reading the reviews here, neither of these got what you'd call rave reviews. Bear in mind the rest of the system is not exactly what you'd label silent, but I'm thinking this would be the loudest component and my home office is otherwise not very noisy at all.

I've also got a set of cases to choose from:

CM Storm Trooper Gaming Big Tower
Cooler Master HAF X Big Tower
Corsair Graphite 600TM Midi Tower
Corsair Obsidian 650D Midi Tower
Corsair Obsidian 800D Midi Tower
NZXT Phantom Big Tower

Other components are:
PSU: Corsair TX V2 650w
Mobo: ASUS 98Z77-V LX
CPU: i7-3770 3.4 Ghz
GFX: MSI GeForce GTX 670
Storage: 2 SSD drives and 1 seagate barracuda 1TB

So as I said, it's not exactly silent, but I want to try to minimize the damage. It will be used for heavy 3D work as I do outsourcing graphics for "next" next gen games. I might dare to open it up and use two Scythe 120 mm fans I have lying around, but once the project is over they'll want it back.

ces

Re: Getting a computer from work

Post by ces » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:36 am

The TX series to my understanding is built by Seasonic. If that is true, Seasonic tends to build good quiet PSUs.
The fan is a Yate-Loon : D14BH-12 ball bearing fan that runs from 1100 to 2800rpm. That is somewhat foreboding in terms of potential sound levels. It is the same one they use on their larger 1000 watt PSU.

The case isn't going to affect your noise levels much.

With respect to the MSI GeForce GTX 670. If you can get the "Twin Frozr" you will probably have a bit less noise... though I would predict that this is going to be your primary source of noise.

Are you sure you want to go the water cooling route? If you are going to be overclocking it, that might make sense, but most of your heat is going to be coming from the video card and the water cooling won't help that. If you go water cooling, I would consider dipping into your own pocket and replacing the fans with Scythe Gentle Typhoons. Are the two Scythes you have Slipstreams or Gentle Typhoons?

TomAxel

Post by TomAxel » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:08 pm

Only two gfx cards to choose from, they're both nearly identical and I believe come with stock fans.

The cpu cooler is also watercooled or stock fan. Is watercooled that bad? The two fans I have I believe are slipstreams (it says on a white sticker on them).

TomAxel

Post by TomAxel » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:16 am

I'm unsure if I'm double posting now, don't know if my last message went into approval or if I actually forgot to post it, I've got a lot of things on my mind, haha.

But I can only choose the water cooling solutions or the stock fans, no getting around it unfortunately, and the only two options I have for graphics cards are very nearly identical.

I believe my fans are Slipstreams, as that is what it says on the white stickers.

I know it's not much to go on.

ces

Post by ces » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:11 pm

Get the H60. This will explain why:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835181019

The pump will make some noise. Not much you can do about that. If the fan makes too much noise you try try swapping in a Scythe Gentle Typhoon fan.