Define R4 / Cooling

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

qualalol

Define R4 / Cooling

Post by qualalol » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:30 am

Hi all,

I'm currently looking at building the system below, and have a few questions / am looking for some advice:
CPU: AMD FX-8350
MB: Probably AMD Sabertooth 990Fx
GPUS: Sapphire HD7750 Passive + HD 6450/5450 passive
PSU: Seasonic Platinum SS-520FL2 or SS-660XP2
Case: Define R4: possibly the PCGH edition

My cooling setup as planned / what I'm unsure about:
- The two included 140mm fans at the front of the case (possibly to be replaced but apparently they're quiet enough).
- HR-02 macho heatsink:
- Not sure about the fans for the Heatsink: I might stick with the included fan, but am considering mounting a second identical fan on the back of the cooler, or alternatively just fitting two Scythe Slip Streams (PWM) -- any advice on this (I'm planning on overclocking my system a bit, so I guess I won't be able to make use of the fact that the SlipStream can spin slower)?
- If I have only one fan on the HR-02 then an additional 140mm fan for the exhaust at the back of the case -- however if I have 2 fans on the Heatsink then I'll have the second fan blowing straight into the exhaust fan, so is it still wise to have an exhaust fan? (Probably a Phanteks PH-F140TS.)
- Since I have two passive GPUs is it worth having a side fan blowing air onto them (another Phanteks PH-F140TS)? Also not sure whether my second GPU will be an HD5450 or HD6450, the 6450 isn't noticeably more expensive, on the other hand they are only needed to show my desktop, so it doesn't really matter which one I have. (I'm running VMs -- the 5450/6450 is for the main system for work, the 7750 will be used with VGA-Passthrough for the VMs and occasionally for gaming, most of the time it won't be under load).

- I'll have an SSD fitted to the MB tray, and one Hard drive (probably a WD Red) which I'm planning on fitting into the 5.25" drive bays, meaning I can remove the hard-drive cages for better airflow. Is it a good idea to stick the HD in something like the Scythe Himuro, or should I just go for suspending it (not sure how easy suspending it will be given there are only 2 5.25" slots and one of them will have a DVD drive)? (Unfortunately I can't find the Scythe Quiet Drive and any other options are a lot more expensive here.)

I've found the "PCGH" edition Define R4 which is the R4 but without any side/top vents (i.e. the ones which are blocked by default don't exist at all on this version) -- I assume it's better for noise if the holes are completely gone and not just blocked -- is it safe to go for this option and rely on not needing the side vent for extra cooling at all? (Probably also looks better if you don't have a blocked grill.)

Thanks for any help!

FraggerCrue

Re: Define R4 / Cooling

Post by FraggerCrue » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:01 pm

I have the Define R4 and am looking at the same motherboard and cpu.

My question is this. There was a utility for the Phenom processors called PhenomMsrTweaker. PMT for short. It allowed you to set conditions for cpu speed and voltage.

It also allowed you to set what was called a Custom Cool&Quiet, by defining parameters when the cpu would be run at speed (or overclocked) and when it would be underclocked and undervolted. You could even set multiple stages (P0, P1, P2, etc.).

I have no experience with the current generation of motherboards. I know Nvidia used to have a utility called NTune or Nvidia System Tools that served a similar function, but they discontinued it, saying that manufacturers (ASUS, MSI, etc.) provide such utilities.

Is there anything like that for the FX 9350 family of processors?