New forumer (long time reader) - planning a new silent rig

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

thierry.

New forumer (long time reader) - planning a new silent rig

Post by thierry. » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:39 am

Hi,

I'm new here, with many questions.
But it's been long time that I read everything on SPCR, especially for choosing my case (Temnjin TJ08) and my PSU (Be Quiet Straight Power E9 400W 80+ Gold), back in July 2012.

I currently have a quiet PC (see my signature) but I still hear the front airflow and I realized it's really big empty and the PSU is way oversized.

Yesterday I measured the power on the plug. Idle 44W, Load 64W (but I will try a full load for longer to see). Boot peaking at 85W (max display on my powermeter)
And I have a 400W PSU. :lol:

I am planning for a smaller one, with latest i3. The goal is to make it even more silent. (with your help?)

I am also trying to read and learn about PicoPSU, which I discovered recently.

I will post my different message in the different sections of the forum. (hopefully in the right place)
  • Question for my planned components.
    Question to learn about picoPSU, if sufficient for my plan.
    Gallery about my current rig (I have to see how you present yours, and how to get temperatures/rpm for a complete info)

Before and after cable management

CA_Steve

Re: New forumer (long time reader) - planning a new silent r

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:49 am

Welcome back. It's best to post everything you want to do with this system in this same thread. Easier to follow. :)

thierry.

Re: New forumer (long time reader) - planning a new silent r

Post by thierry. » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:59 pm

I'll put my questions and plan, in here, for your advice.
I still have a lot of reading. I discovered SPCR (the website) in July 2012, but I just realized this week, that you have a forum. Silly me.
It's been a week that I try to get answers on the 2-3 French forums that I usually follow. And then, it struck me "Just ask at the right place, from the passionate silencing guys!"

Tonight, I tried again to push my current i3-3225 to the max with Cinebench, Geekbench, reading a 1080 movie and encoding a HD movie. It was full load from my monitoring. I could not burn more than 75W on the wall plug.

If I can sell my current PC, I would like to build a smaller and more silent one. We usually call them HTPC (for the size, low consumtion and silence), but I would just use it for my daily tasks (web, mail, family photos and videos).

Planned "fixed" components:
Core i3-4340, using the integrated HD4600. (more than sufficient for my needs and low consumption)
GA-H87N-WIFI small ITX Board, to get smaller case than my actual
8GB RAM Corsair XMS3
SSD 256GB Sandisk Ultra Plus for the system
HDD 2TB WD 3.5" 5400rpm, for the extra space

It leaves the case and PSU.
I'm currently leaning toward the SilverStone SG06-Lite (without PSU) and an SFX 300W (possibly the Silverstone because it has less cables than the Be Quiet SFX 300W)
I like the quality of my Temnjin. I did not know Silverstone before reading reviews on SPCR.

Why not the SG06 with integrated 450W, for cheaper?
Because I don't need 450W and the integrated PSU is "only" 80+. And I believe the PSU sold alone have better quality.

I'm also looking at other small cases like Antec, Cooltek, CoolerMaster.

Thanks for reading
And thanks for your suggestions, feedback, warning.