I want to make my 3 month old build really [quiet]!

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jlakersman

I want to make my 3 month old build really [quiet]!

Post by jlakersman » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:33 pm

Hey SPCR!

Here's my existing build:
CPU Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core w/ stock intel cpu cooler
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H87M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" SSD
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Video Card Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB

Case Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower w/ 2x 140mm Hyperborea Fan and 1x 120mm Stock Corsair Fan

Power Supply SeaSonic 550W ATX12V / EPS12V
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
I need help on which case I should transfer all my parts into and which cpu cooler and fans would be best.

As of now I'm thinking of purchasing the following:

Case: Fractal Design Define Mini
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2
Front Fan: 2x Noctua NF-P12 PWM
Rear Fan: Noctua NF-S12A PWM

3.5 HDD to Optical bay mount: ORICO AC52535-1S
SSD mounting on the back of MB: Generic Velcro sticker

Is there a cheaper way to get a reallyyy silent build?

Thank you,
jlakersman

*Edit or maybe keep my case?
Use SilverStone Silent Foam then cover all open holes
Case: Corsair 350D [Old Case]
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 running at fixed 1000 rpm
Front Fan: 2x Noctua NF-A14 ULN running at fixed 650 rpm
Rear Fan: Noctua NF-S12A ULN running at fixed 800 rpm

Abula

Re: I want to make my 3 month old build really [quiet]!

Post by Abula » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:47 pm

I would try to pin point your sources of noise and try to work it out before purchasing a new case, the two most common on todays PCs are Fans and Mechancial Hdds.

On the HDD i would try to suspend it on the 5.25 instead of using the orico adapter, or isolate it with a 5.25 box, if neither helps i would consider replacing the hdd even before replacing the case, WD reds and greens are good options for pure storage.

I would also try to undervolt the fans and see how your CPU temp reacts and probably will increase the noise of the Intel stock CPU cooler, grab a cooler like Thermalright HR02 macho or Scythe Mugen 4 and tests again and see if you can lower you case fan to the point where you cant hear them and if the temps are good enough for your liking.

Not sure how noisy is the Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB, if when lowering all other sources of noise this becomes the biggest, then i would consider an aftermarket cooler like Arctic Extreme III or Prolimatech MK-26 (this is huge, should check if the case can fit it).

After testing the above, if you are not happy enough, then i would consider the case.

edh

Post by edh » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:49 am

Totally agree with Abula here and replacing a case is generally a very expensive and questionably effective way of silencing a system. It's better to make less noise in the first palce rather than simply trying to trap all of the noise with the case.

I would suggest you consider whether or not undervolting is for you. If you do not overclock then an undervolt will give you massive reductions in heat output which can then allow big reductions in fan speeds.

The stock Intel cooler isn't going to allow you to go very quiet so replacing this would be a likely place to start, BUT only once you have been able to go round isolating noises and finding where the noise comes from. As for a replacement, the 92mm Noctua is good but a 120mm cooler will give you better temps at lower noise levels. Unless space really is a problem, look to do this with a Macho or similar.

jlakersman

Post by jlakersman » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:06 pm

Just did the stickied post on the thread about finding the noise source.

I pinpointed the noise to be coming from the CPU cooler (slight buzzing sound then goes crazy at high temps) and the 2 140mm fans on my case (light clicking sound with a slight hum).
I'm currently running speedfan and my CPU cooler running at 1200rpm and my 2 140mm fans running at 600rpm.

The HDD didn't make any noise or even vibrate. The PSU is quite, not even a slight hum. The GPU is quite as well with it's 33% fan speed.

I really want to opt-in suspending my HDD but the holes on my 5.25 is covered by the tool-less latch in Corsair cases.
Those cpu cooler you recommended to me is quite big. Would you recommend me buying the Noctua NH-U9B SE2 and just running one fan?

I'm currently selling my 7950 to litecoin miners on ebay. Which GPU cooler is the most quiet? I've read MSI cooler is usually the quietest.