Big Case or Small which is easier to silence?

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

kevine123

Big Case or Small which is easier to silence?

Post by kevine123 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:13 am

Hi there, I am wanting to build a HTPC...... say i3. I want to run plex media server and plex home theatre on it and use it to transcode for other devices in my home. It will sit in a dedicated home theatre room. Space is not really a problem. I would love for it to sit inside my cabinet (I have space that would fit a regular receiver) or would be happy for a tower to sit on the floor beside the cabinet.

Would a something like a Silverstone Grandia GD04 USB 3.0 be more difficult to cool than a standard tower? I would have onboard HD graphics so no need for fans on a big graphics card. I guess the only noise source would be the PSU, the case fans and the CPU fan.

Suggested bulids would be appreciated. Just not sure what type of case is going to be easiest to achieve excellent results without spending the earth.

thankyou

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Big Case or Small which is easier to silence?

Post by Vicotnik » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:54 am

For huge gaming boxes maybe this question makes sense, but for a HTPC? Do you need stuff that make noise in the first place is a better question imo.

If you need HDDs in there then that would be the primary source of noise really. And a NAS in another room is probably the best solution for that.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:35 pm

kevine123 wrote:Would a something like a Silverstone Grandia GD04 USB 3.0 be more difficult to cool than a standard tower?

http://www.silentpcreview.com/SilverSto ... _GD07_GD08
http://www.silentpcreview.com/silverstone-gd05

LongJan

Post by LongJan » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:13 pm

kevine123 wrote:Would a something like a Silverstone Grandia GD04 USB 3.0 be more difficult to cool than a standard tower?
Nothing with an i3 and no graphics card is difficult to cool :D If you like the look and size of the GD04 -go for it.

I would use a passive (a bit expensive) or a semi-passive PSU. Noctua NH-L9i LP CPU-cooler and one or two more Noctua RPM-fans as side exhaust. Make the fans spin at 400-600 rpm and everything will run very cool and practically silent. Then as Vicotnik points out the noise level will depend on what HDD:s you put in there.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:08 pm

why not just go small? m350.
simple, cheap and effective.