Haunted PC!

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

lefty

Haunted PC!

Post by lefty » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:52 am

Hi All,
There's an annoying intermittant noise coming from my PC.
At first I though it was the hard drive, but I unplugging everything that has moving parts, all fans and the hard drive (and the PSU has no fan), but there still is a noise coming from the PC!
It's faint fan noise, which intermittantly gets louder. Anyone know what this could be?

Here is the parts in my rig:
Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H
Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600
Core I5-4570
Samsung 840 Evo
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB
BitFenix Prodigy M
cooler master hyper 212 evo
Seasonic x460 fanless

CA_Steve

Re: Haunted PC!

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:12 am

Welcome to SPCR.

If all of the fans are unplugged, it's not fan noise. :)

Are you sure it isn't electronic buzzing you hear? Likely suspect is the PSU, and less likely is the motherboard VRM circuitry.

lefty

Post by lefty » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:52 am

CA_Steve wrote:Welcome to SPCR.

If all of the fans are unplugged, it's not fan noise. :)

Are you sure it isn't electronic buzzing you hear? Likely suspect is the PSU, and less likely is the motherboard VRM circuitry.
Yeah, I suppose it has to be electronic buzzing, but I don't know how to figure out what's causing it.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:47 pm

...or possibly the monitor.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:44 am

My main system growls faintly when it has to do some hard work (I'm guessing it's the VRM circuitry). It squeals faintly when data is written to the SSD. There's also some faint buzzing from the TFT but it's not audible from a distance and some whining from the AC/DC-adapter but that's also not audible unless I've got my ear next to it.

Like CA_Steve says, it probably isn't one of the unplugged fans.

lefty

Post by lefty » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:07 am

Vicotnik wrote:My main system growls faintly when it has to do some hard work (I'm guessing it's the VRM circuitry). It squeals faintly when data is written to the SSD. There's also some faint buzzing from the TFT but it's not audible from a distance and some whining from the AC/DC-adapter but that's also not audible unless I've got my ear next to it.

Like CA_Steve says, it probably isn't one of the unplugged fans.
So, do all motherboards make noise? Is it normal?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:46 am

lefty wrote:So, do all motherboards make noise? Is it normal?

Broadly speaking, yes (more or less).

lefty

Post by lefty » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:03 am

Actually, I found the souce of the noise. It's the PSU. I'm surprised, because Seasonic is ment to be good quality.
I plugged in a different PSU outside of the case and could hear that the motherboard is absolutly silent.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:48 am

Coil whine happens in some PSUs. Sometimes they'll replace a unit under warranty for it. The ErP rules and circuitry put in place a few years ago to greatly reduce power consumption when the PC is sleeping/hibernating has exacerbated the issue (during use). Here's Seasonic's suggestions to reduce the problem:
BIOS set up to ENABLE ErP/EuP (S4~S5)
BIOS set up to DISABLE Audio Always On"

lefty

Post by lefty » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:53 am

CA_Steve wrote:Coil whine happens in some PSUs. Sometimes they'll replace a unit under warranty for it. The ErP rules and circuitry put in place a few years ago to greatly reduce power consumption when the PC is sleeping/hibernating has exacerbated the issue (during use). Here's Seasonic's suggestions to reduce the problem:
BIOS set up to ENABLE ErP/EuP (S4~S5)
BIOS set up to DISABLE Audio Always On"
I don't have those settings on my motherboard. I did try to disable power saving states, but that had no effect.
Anyway, I will try to return it.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:06 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
lefty wrote:So, do all motherboards make noise? Is it normal?

Broadly speaking, yes (more or less).
IMO this is why one slow fan is usually better than fanless. a single 400-500 rpm fan is not annoying at all (and way below most users average noise floor), and covers up any annoying coil whine.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:04 pm

xan_user wrote:IMO this is why one slow fan is usually better than fanless. a single 400-500 rpm fan is not annoying at all (and way below most users average noise floor), and covers up any annoying coil whine.
It depends. Constant coil whine is intolerable and perhaps a slow fan could mask it a bit. I prefer a fanless system that's silent at idle. Small noises when the system actually does something I can forgive.