Need PSU/Cooler/Case choose for quiet build

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dfc

Need PSU/Cooler/Case choose for quiet build

Post by dfc » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:29 pm

Hi there,

I'm looking for a quiet (read not silent) build. I already have this components:
- i7-4790K (might OC in the future)
- EVGA 780 SuperClocked FTW edition
- Gigabyte Z97X Gaming G1
- Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2*8GB
- Intel SSD 730 240GB

And i'm looking for a good PSU / CPU Cooler / Case so that the computer (which will be on a floor, 1 meter from my head+-) will be pretty quiet.

[Mod removed links to sales sites]

My questions are:
A. Since the PCIe x16 1st slot is near the CPU, I thought about getting the nocuta NH-U12S
B. I wanted to get the Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 case, but I'm not sure how it will deal with the air flow + the GPU cooling system which needs good airflow, should I go on the Fractal Design R4 instead ?
C. I dont know how quiet are PSUs, but Is the SeaSonic S12G-550W a good choice ?

CA_Steve

Re: Need PSU/Cooler/Case choose for quiet build

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:16 pm

Welcome to SPCR.

Here's a comparison of the Nanoxia to a couple of other cases, including the Fractal R2. The R2 runs a tad cooler and quieter..but just. The R4 improves upon the R2 design with 140mm front and rear fans. Comparing the SPCR heat load to yours:

Yours: 84W CPU + 250W gfx + ~50W everything else = ~380W stressed load. Plus your OC.
SPCR: 125W CPU + 160W gfx + ~50W everything else = ~335W stressed load.

I think the R4 has more capacity for cooling. Check out my signature for a build thread.

Cooler: That mobo has two x16 slots...and it's really hard to make a gfx card use more than what x8 slot PCIe 3.0 provides. So, you don't have to stay narrow if you don't want to. If you do, take a look at the Scythe Kotetsu.

PSU: The video card will be the loudest component at idle and load. As noted earlier, your stressed load (stock) is 380W and figure gaming load of 320W. If you overvolt the CPU, this can go up to 450W or so..with a gaming load around 400W. The S12G is a good design, but it's not silent and I'd go with a modular PSU for less cable clutter. Corsair RM, Seasonic X, Kingwin LZP, be Quiet DPP10 are all decent. Some are semi-passive (fans don't start until 20-30% load), the last is always on, but whisper quiet. All will ramp fans heavily at 50% load. So, it's a competition which is louder while gaming - PSU or Gfx card...depending on how you size the PSU.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:28 pm

If i was investing so much into a motherboard, i would probably consider X99, personally i see Z97 sweat spot at $125-200, specially since you are giong with a dedicated gpu, you could go into a six core.

On the GPU, if your prioirty is quiet, i would swap the EVGA GTX780 for an MSI GTX 780 TwinFrozr Gaming 3 GB

On the CPU cooler, the Scythe Kotetsu CPU Cooler: A Compact King will give you very good value for the money, you can get it below $40.

I would consider Corsair RM 550/650 for PSU, or if you want a higher end PSU, KingWin Lazer Platinum Series 550 Watt Power Supply with Universal Modular Cables LZP-550, reviewed by SPCR Kingwin Lazer Platinum 550W Power Supply and got the editors choice.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:50 pm

dfc wrote:- EVGA 780 SuperClocked FTW edition

If you already have it, there's a little to do, noise-wise: either it's a SuperClocked (standard Nvidia blower) or a FTW (dual fan eVGA ACX cooler) version, your one is a relatively noisy card, among the various 780s, so it's a bit unhelpful picking now the quietest case/PSU/cooler you can afford. IMVHO, of course.

dfc wrote:A. Since the PCIe x16 1st slot is near the CPU, I thought about getting the nocuta NH-U12S

It's surely a quiet cooler, but it does not seem that well suited at oc'ing a Devil's Canyon.
As already adviced, Scythe Kotetsu or BeQuiet Shadow Rock Slim are both better choices, cooling-wise. If you want to stick with those high quality Noctua products, the larger NH-U14S would be a better friend than the NH-U12S, for a relatively modest price increase.

dfc wrote:B. I wanted to get the Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 case, but I'm not sure how it will deal with the air flow + the GPU cooling system which needs good airflow, should I go on the Fractal Design R4 instead ?

If you hadn't had that noisy eVGA card, I would adviced you that a more open enclosure was IMHO preferable (like either a Corsair Obsidian 450D, or a Phanteks Enthoo Pro: but a Fractal Arc Midi would have worked well too).

Then, given the presence of that relatively noisy part, I think you should better do some damage control going with such a more closed and dampened case: with reference to your options, IMO there's no decisive reason to pick any of them, but probably the Fractal would be cheaper, and anyway, among the Nanoxia enclosures, I wouldn't rule out the DS2/DS3 (even better, probably I would rather those two over the DS1, if compatible with your other hw).

dfc wrote:C. I dont know how quiet are PSUs, but Is the SeaSonic S12G-550W a good choice ?

Not even by mistake any unit in the Seasonic G-series (including the fixed cable S12G-series, the differently painted OEM versions, and even their Antec siblings, the freshly-released EDGE-series) would be a good choice, as it's fan controller is fairly aggressive (or conservative).

In the same price range, noise-wise the best option is more probably that not the Corsair RM450, but if you rather to stick to an higher power range, you may either look for a Corsair RM550 or, whether you may run hotter graphics (or a second one for a SLI), look for an eVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 (usually for about the same money of the quoted RM550).

On a tad lower budget, as a second best option you might look at the Cooler Master V450S/V550S (but pricing depends on your location, as well as for the enclosures), while, on an even tighter budget, either a Corsair CS-450M/CS-550M or a Cooler Master G450M/G550M would be my choice, for what it worths.

dfc

Post by dfc » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:00 pm

Ok, let me start by saying thanks for your responses ! However an crucial piece of information was deleted by a moderator. I'm buying this stuff in Israel, which means I'm quite limited in the available options (I've linked to 2 stores which I trust and have an moderate amount of choice, but they were deleted, can I even say their names atleast ?).

As for the hardware itself, I've got it as a bundle from work (with some discount), which is why I got parts that usually I might not get (like that crazy ass motherboard and that dual-fan FTW GPU).

As for the stuff I've written I already have, if this is a MAJOR issue in quietness (not silent) tell me...

To get a sense of how much quiet I need, today I have this spec which is pretty quiet to me:
- Intel E6600
- AMD HD4870
- Corsair VX550W
- Antec P182

How comparable loud can be a build with the stuff we are talking about (let's say both builds not overclocked) ?

-----------------------------------------------------
THE CASE:
Here's a comparison of the Nanoxia to a couple of other cases, including the Fractal R2. The R2 runs a tad cooler and quieter..but just. The R4 improves upon the R2 design with 140mm front and rear fans. Comparing the SPCR heat load to yours:

Yours: 84W CPU + 250W gfx + ~50W everything else = ~380W stressed load. Plus your OC.

I think the R4 has more capacity for cooling. Check out my signature for a build thread.
Googling "Deep Silence 1 vs Define R4" shows that the opinions (and benchmarks) run here and there... i.e. they are very close with the DS1 being more airflow limited (but a bit quieter). As for cooling, the question is will the temperature levels be sufficient or not in both choices...
If you hadn't had that noisy eVGA card, I would adviced you that a more open enclosure was IMHO preferable (like either a Corsair Obsidian 450D, or a Phanteks Enthoo Pro: but a Fractal Arc Midi would have worked well too).

Then, given the presence of that relatively noisy part, I think you should better do some damage control going with such a more closed and dampened case: with reference to your options, IMO there's no decisive reason to pick any of them, but probably the Fractal would be cheaper, and anyway, among the Nanoxia enclosures, I wouldn't rule out the DS2/DS3 (even better, probably I would rather those two over the DS1, if compatible with your other hw).
Most people say that the DS2 is the cheaper brother of the DS1, being smaller and not having a removable disk cage (which I dont need, and will hinder airflow), also cheaper. As for the DS3 it's not sold here. The DS1 is pretty much in my price ally, so I don't mind shelling out for it.

The Corsair 550D and Define XL R2 are a bit expensive for me, although if they are worth it in term of being more quiet or more adaptable at cooling the GPU i'll look into it?
-----------------------------------------------------
THE CPU COOLER:

Wow, thanks for the heads up on the Scythe Kotetsu, didn't know about it till today, it seems better than the NH-U12S. The question is then between the Kotetsu and the Mugen 4, both can fit Ok in the case (I think the mugen 4 should be ok with the RAM sticks I said above, no?), and both cost the same here. The question is which should I pick from these ?

------------------------------------------------------
THE PSU:
PSU: The video card will be the loudest component at idle and load. As noted earlier, your stressed load (stock) is 380W and figure gaming load of 320W. If you overvolt the CPU, this can go up to 450W or so..with a gaming load around 400W. The S12G is a good design, but it's not silent and I'd go with a modular PSU for less cable clutter. Corsair RM, Seasonic X, Kingwin LZP, be Quiet DPP10 are all decent. Some are semi-passive (fans don't start until 20-30% load), the last is always on, but whisper quiet. All will ramp fans heavily at 50% load. So, it's a competition which is louder while gaming - PSU or Gfx card...depending on how you size the PSU.
I hope to pass most cables via the back of the case. Modular are usually more expensive and I rather invest that money in more quiet and reliability and W. As for your models (I'm looking for around 550W PSUs, as this GPU needs an 45A on the 12V single rail....):
The seasonic S12G is about 104$
The Corsair RM is about 156$
The Seasonic X is about 163$ (the 650W model)
The Kingwin does not exist here.
The be Quiet does not exist here.
In the same price range, noise-wise the best option is more probably that not the Corsair RM450, but if you rather to stick to an higher power range, you may either look for a Corsair RM550 or, whether you may run hotter graphics (or a second one for a SLI), look for an eVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 (usually for about the same money of the quoted RM550).

On a tad lower budget, as a second best option you might look at the Cooler Master V450S/V550S (but pricing depends on your location, as well as for the enclosures), while, on an even tighter budget, either a Corsair CS-450M/CS-550M or a Cooler Master G450M/G550M would be my choice, for what it worths.
Coolermaster V550S exists here in only 1 shop (which I rather not buy from) for 152$
Coolermaster G550 exists there for 96$, same shop, although if it's worth it over the S12G I might go there, and hope it's not refurbished (what do you mean about the enclosures?)
There is an GXII 550W model (123$ there) but no CS model.

-----------------------------------------------
Other stuff:
If you already have it, there's a little to do, noise-wise: either it's a SuperClocked (standard Nvidia blower) or a FTW (dual fan eVGA ACX cooler) version, your one is a relatively noisy card, among the various 780s, so it's a bit unhelpful picking now the quietest case/PSU/cooler you can afford. IMVHO, of course.
My Catalog number is 03G-P4-3784-KR Which is the FTW edition without a blower (dual fan)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLLSUGRK7GA

I see that when idle it's pretty quiet ?

dfc

Post by dfc » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:50 am

No responses ?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:32 pm

dfc wrote:The Corsair 550D and Define XL R2 are a bit expensive for me, although if they are worth it in term of being more quiet or more adaptable at cooling the GPU i'll look into it?

The Corsair isn't quieter or cooler than the Fractal R4. I don't know the R2 XL, but I'm not expecting substantially better results.

dfc wrote:The question is which should I pick from these ?

According to SPCR findings, the Kotetsu is slightly better. Alternatively you may flip a coin. (I'm rather serious about).

dfc wrote:The Corsair RM is about 156$
The Seasonic X is about 163$ (the 650W model)

Those two are the better candidates: the Seasonic is better built and better performing, the Corsair is probably quieter.
Both are semi-fanless, so their fan kicks in relatively hard, but both should be quieter then the quoted Corsair VX 450. The Seasonic seems to have also a rather high initial failure rate (mostly noise-related), so in case check the shop policy for RMA/warranty.

dfc wrote:Coolermaster V550S exists here in only 1 shop (which I rather not buy from) for 152$
Coolermaster G550 exists there for 96$, same shop, although if it's worth it over the S12G I might go there, and hope it's not refurbished (what do you mean about the enclosures?)

I said that pricing for PSU and enclosure (case: R4, DS1) varies on local basis.
The G550M is noticeably quieter than the S12G, while the S12G is slightly better built and slightly better performing.

dfc wrote:There is an GXII 550W model (123$ there) but no CS model.

The GX-II is really crappy, avoid like the plague.

I see that when idle it's pretty quiet ?
It's louder than the reference design at idle, and comparatively it's louder than any direct competitor at load: IMO/IME it is disappointly noticeable ever, but it is not unbearable (I mean, some one else may think that it's not that bad, although not whisper quiet).
Said that, I don't know how it may compare against a generic HD4870, whether you'd judge that eVGA as quiet or quieter than it, anyway I guess it shouldn't be far off.
Last edited by quest_for_silence on Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

dfc

Post by dfc » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:09 am

I am really bummed that I need to shell out so much money for an quiet (not silent) PSU... I am pretty sure my Corsair VX 550 (which is pretty quiet in my current build) from 6 years ago wasn't this expensive.... also we don't have much of a large selection here :| The SeaSonic M12II-620W if I understand correctly is inferior to the S12G, yes ?

As for the CPU cooler, I'll go for the Kotetsu.

For the case, I've seen this in a review (connecting to my GPU):
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7356/caps ... cked-acx/3
Ultimately EVGA’s ACX cooler performs very well under load, which is no less than what we’d expect given the design and EVGA’s expertise in the matter. Like other open air coolers, the ACX cooler provides lower temperatures and lower noise levels than the equivalent reference blower, delivering Titan-like performance for under 47dB. Of course it goes without saying that this is a tradeoff; an open air cooler pushes more of the cooling load onto the chassis itself, so while the ACX cooler is highly effective in a large, airy case like our Spedo, it’s generally not the best choice for small and/or low airflow scenarios, those scenarios being where the reference blower best excels.
The Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 has low airflow if I understand correctly, which means it would be a mismatch for my GPU, and I should go on something like the Fractal R4 instead ?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:42 am

dfc wrote:I am really bummed that I need to shell out so much money for an quiet (not silent) PSU... I am pretty sure my Corsair VX 550 (which is pretty quiet in my current build) from 6 years ago wasn't this expensive.... also we don't have much of a large selection here :| The SeaSonic M12II-620W if I understand correctly is inferior to the S12G, yes ?

Looking for a cheap & quiet unit, personally I would pick the CM G550M.
Whether you feel more comfortable dealing with Seasonic, well, I think you may opt for it with a few regrets, as it shouldn't be louder than the Seasonic-based Corsair VX you already like.
And yes, AFAIK the M12-II is inferior to the S12G.

dfc wrote:The Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 has low airflow if I understand correctly, which means it would be a mismatch for my GPU, and I should go on something like the Fractal R4 instead ?

It would be the same, IMHO, the R4 would give similar results: so pick the Nanoxia if you like it more, you won't be wrong.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:15 am

dfc

Post by dfc » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:19 pm

Wow, how come I didn't see the forum:
viewforum.php?f=23
Can this post move there, maybe I could get more input ?

-----------------

I see now why my VX550W current PSU is quiet:
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vx550w
Check the noise graph there, it seems that until 400W the PSU is practically VERY quiet (and I guess my build doesn't stress it to those levels).... Where can I see this profile graph for the S12G and/or other PSUs?

BTW, the OEM version SeaSonic SSP-550RT http://www.seasonic.com/pdf/datasheet/N ... %20PFC.pdf is better or worse than the S12G ?

I've looked at my local "big" computer store, plonter for PSU in the price range of 83$ up to 125$, tell me which is the best (looking for 550W with 12V 45A single rail):
COUGAR ST600
XIGMATEK - CPA-0600NGD-A5
Enermax - ENP500AWT
FSP - HE-600
Cougar - Cougar-RS550
Zalman - ZM500-GLX
Seasonic - S12II-620-Bulk
Enermax - ENP550AWT
Silverstone - SST-ST60F-ES - Strider 600W
Seasonic - S12II-620 - 620W
XIGMATEK - XTK-TB-0600A - 600W
Antec - Neo-Eco-520C - Neo Eco 520W Power Supply
Antec - VP-650P - VP-650P - 650W
Antec - EA-500D - EA 500D Green - 500W
Seasonic - SS-550RT - 550W - 80 PLUS Gold certified
FSP - RA-650 - RAIDER 650
Enermax - ETL550AWT
Antec - HCG-520 - HCG-520 520W
Cougar - A660-CGR-B3-660 - Cougar 660W
FSP - HE-700 - 700W
Antec - VP650PM - 650W - Modular
AcBel - PCA015 - 700/750w
Seasonic - S12G-550 - 550W
Zalman - ZM600-GLX - 600W
Silverstone - SST-ST70F-ES - Strider 700W
Antec - Neo-Eco-620C - Neo Eco 620W
Enermax - ETL650AWT - 650W
Seventeam - ST-460P-AD - SSI-EPS
Seasonic - M12II-620 - 620W
AcBel - PC7014-Z - iPower 560W
Seasonic - SS-750HT - 750W
Thermaltake - TR-500PCEU - Thermaltake TR2 500W
Seventeam - ST-550P-AD -
FSP - RA-750 - RAIDER 750
Seasonic - SS-650RT - 650W
Seasonic - G-550 - 550W
AcBel - PCA010 - 600/650w iPower 85H Series
Seasonic - SS-850HT - 850W OEM PSU
Antec - EA-650 - EA-650 650W
Enermax - ETA550AWT - Triathlor 550W
Cougar - A760-CGR-B3-760 - Cougar 760W
FSP - AU-600 - Aurum 600W
Seasonic - S12G-650 - 650W
OCZ - OCZ700FTY - OCZ Fatal1ty Series Power Supply 700W
Enermax - EPR625AWT - 625W
AcBel - PCA011 - 700/750w iPower 85H Series

--------------

As for the case, I've seen your input before (just read all your build thread, pretty cool stuff, thanks for the data there), it seems very close competition in the end between this 2 cases.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:03 pm

dfc wrote:Where can I see this profile graph for the S12G and/or other PSUs?

I'm not aware of, and in case it should be rather doubtful.

You may get some similar information (but differently represented) in recent TechPowerUp! and ComputerBase.de reviews (I would trust much more the fan speed information rather than any their sound level measurement).

dfc wrote:BTW, the OEM version SeaSonic SSP-550RT http://www.seasonic.com/pdf/datasheet/N ... %20PFC.pdf is better or worse than the S12G ?

There are about no differences (set aside finishing/accessories).

dfc wrote:I've looked at my local "big" computer store, plonter for PSU in the price range of 83$ up to 125$, tell me which is the best (looking for 550W with 12V 45A single rail)

What does "the best" mean?

Anyway, the quietest should be the old Enermax - EPR625AWT - 625W: it's noticeably quieter than your VX and than any Seasonic G, and it offers very good performances (even nowadays) but efficiency with reference to Gold units: to visualize, a Seasonic G should be 5-7% more efficient in the 50-130W range and above the 350W mark. The only requirement that Enermax surely miss is the single rail one, as it offers 3 12V rails, 25A each: but frankly that's a non-issue, as "single rail" benefit is mostly a marketing invention.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:26 pm

The only requirement that Enermax surely miss is the single rail one, as it offers 3 12V rails, 25A each: but frankly that's a non-issue, as "single rail" benefit is mostly a marketing invention.
25A @ 12V = 300W...you could use two PEG power connectors from the same rail...but if you plan to do any GPU overclocking, you might use two connectors from different rails.

dfc

Post by dfc » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:10 pm

I am pretty sure my GPU requires 42A from a single rail in 12V or it will not work (seen a few complaints about this on NEWEGG review for example):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130951
It does require a 42 amp rail for power, so I had to purchase a new PSU to support it as my old 850 watt unit didn't meet the power specs.
This card says it needs 600 Watt power supply. This means absolutely nothing. What you need is a 12 volt rail with at least 42 amps. That's a single rail. I had a 700 Watt power supply that had two 12 volt rails with 25 amps on each rail. This did not cut it. Nor did any of the other connectors and stuff. If you are going to get one of these make sure that you have a rail that has at least 42 amps. The wattage doesn't really matter as much as the amps do.
And if I recall, in other sites as well...

If it's ok, we have 2 big stores in Israel where people buy from, plonter, and tms, if you can check their PSU selection and recommend me which you would buy it would be great, best i mean by:
A. 550W
B. 42A single rail 12V
C. quiet
D. durable for years
E. has stable rails output

here are the options: (1 USD is 3.6 NIS +-)
http://tinyurl.com/nbv6k5a
http://tinyurl.com/odkb5gh

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:01 am

dfc wrote:I am pretty sure my GPU requires 42A from a single rail in 12V or it will not work

I'm pretty sure your GPU won't draw not even by mistake more than 24A from any 12V rail (where about 6A come from the PCI-E slot), even better, currently no graphics card in the world can draw 42A from PCI-E connectors: but I can't blame you for that fear, as it's due to lack of knowledge (and it's furtherly feeded by other people's ignorance too).

dfc wrote:if you can check their PSU selection and recommend me which you would buy it would be great

I'm sorry, but I can't help: whether given that way, any actually meaningful advice would be too much time consuming (for me).

P.S.: just FYI (but it's just the first instance which came off my mind).

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:26 am

The EVGA data sheet claims 42A for the PSU when using with a Core i7 CPU.

Turn to Google and find some reviews for actual power draw.

You are free to follow EVGA and buy any 1300W PSU you like.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:44 am

Pappnaas wrote:The EVGA data sheet claims 42A for the PSU when using with a Core i7 CPU.

If you don't mind, Pappnaas, I'd just to add that eVGA data sheets seems to omit that CPU and GPU rely on different 12V rails, in any properly designed multi-rails ATX PSU.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:29 am

um...the GTX 780 has a TDP of 250W. With overclocking/overvolting, maybe it'll go to 300W. 300W/12V = 25A.

Also, PCIe specification is 75W from the mobo connector, 75W from a PSU 6-pin PEG connector and 150W from an 8-pin PEG connector. I think your card has a 6-pin and an 8-pin, so the total possible load it can pull is 75W + 75W + 150W = 300W. Again, 25A.

Telstar

Post by Telstar » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:41 pm

I would consider replacing the 780 FTW with a gtx970 or 980 (MSI, Asus and Gigabyte are among the quietest and best cooled, I would avoid EVGA at this round) depending on your budget and the price you can sell yours. That would fix the main noise source.

And I would spend more for the PSU, going for instance with the excellent and very quiet HXi 750 from Corsair (I have its bigger brother), or alternatively a fanless Seasonic 550W (totally fine power especially if you go for the 970 that has a 145W TDP).