Fanless Gaming Desktop (Full HD)

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

irawayne

Fanless Gaming Desktop (Full HD)

Post by irawayne » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:13 am

Hello, I decided I want to go for a passively cooled gaming desktop. I have seen passively cooled desktops but not with decent GPUs and at 2k they are quite out of my reach. I would like to ask you what can I get with a budget of 1,300 USD (all components minus mouse, keyboard, display, sound system) if I want the most powerful passively cooled gaming desktop. Thank you in advance.

quest_for_silence

Re: Fanless Gaming Desktop (Full HD)

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:14 am

irawayne wrote:I want the most powerful passively cooled gaming desktop. Thank you in advance.
The most powerful passively cooled gaming desktop capable to run some games at FullHD is one which sports a GTX 750Ti as GPU: whether is adequate for your wish, or not, it's your call.

Nothing over that performance level can be entirely passively cooled.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:29 am

Since the GPU is the #1 challenge to quiet cooling, focusing on that... you could make it run very quietly by using a WC setup for it. The best would be one with an external radiator which might run w/o a fan if the radiator is big enough and the pump powerful enough (w/o being noisy).

But running a hot machine (say long term 200W+ power draw) w/o any fans is by definition always an expensive proposition. I strongly suggest you rethink your approach -- good quality fans running very slowly make so little noise as to be virtually indistinguishable from no fans at all, yet provide cooling far better than almost any passive rig. (we're talking tens of degrees C) This is a lesson lots of SPCR enthusiasts have learned the hard way (after mucho expense & effort)

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:57 am

I agree with mikeC, i think its best to build with quiet components, a powerful pc will generate a lot of heat, there are very good fans out there that will allow you drive them to inaudible levels, and still perform with in the manufacturer margins.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:27 pm

MikeC wrote:This is a lesson lots of SPCR enthusiasts have learned the hard way (after mucho expense & effort)

+1 (I mean: I was one of those "students").

useful_idiot

Post by useful_idiot » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:34 pm

Please have a look at my build thread. You cant passively cool a gpu but with an after market cooler like the one i use the fans can only be heard if i pull off a cover and stick my ear in the case. If you do not game with your ear in the case then an aftermarket gpu cooler will satisfy your silence needs.

Telstar

Post by Telstar » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:23 pm

Do you need it to be totally passive also when you are gaming? Did you consider closed headphones? There are good ones, not just looking at gaming devices.

If your answer is yes, wait for the GTX960 that will be released next month or later this month.
If your answer is no, I would go with the GTX980 Strix from Asus that is passive most of the time (2D and light gaming).

Passive cooling for the CPU can be achieved with watercooling with a 360 or bigger rad. Note that the pump makes more or less noise.

Another option that will break your budget are one of those huge passive cases for gaming/workstations, but they are 800-1000€, and honestly not worth the hassle since you can get a very quiet system in a normal case following the advice on this site and others.