Thermaltake Core V1 PSU

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

troot

Thermaltake Core V1 PSU

Post by troot » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:03 am

Hello Everyone!

I would like some help in choosing the right PSU for a build housed in a Thermaltake Core V1 case. I'm a long time SPCR lurker, but never before I was this stumped on choosing.

The core issue is that while I'd like a fanless/silent/semi-fanless PSU, I've bought the case in advance along with an Enermax Triathlor PSU - which turned out to be an ECO version, which does not have the Enermax "twister" fan - which would have been not a problem, if the case did not emit a low-pitched hum audible a room away. I've RMA'd the PSU, but now I'm thrice as cautious.

The power consumption will be in the range of [71,142] W without the motherboard, for which I was unable to dig up any statistics - but adding, rather generously, ~50W on top of it, still below 200W tops. This means even with the PSU aging quite a bit, 300W should be plenty.

One of the issues appeared to be the amount of SATA connectors available - I need four.

I've examined the list of recommended PSUs, and based on availability (Europe, Hungary) I've lots of units.
  • The Silverstone ST30SF SFX 300W appears perfect, almost bought it, if it wasn't for the fact that only 3 SATA connectors are on it!
  • The Seasonic X-400FL appears awesome - but the case does not have any space! All heat would be blocked by the motherboard. Tried to re-arrange the rather well designed side boards and flip the case upside down, but half of the exhaust would appear to be blocked.
  • The Enermax Platimax 500W, based on the review of the 600W unit should do it (I'm aware that it might differ - this is a leap of faith already.), but alas the output vent is too large! The exhaust on the lower side of the Core V1 is about 10cm x 10cm.
  • Another Seasonic, the SS-X650, is available, but at a horrendous price of ~$160, which I consider a bit much for a 6+ years old PSU model.
The other ones which I've eliminated:
  • Seasonic SS-400ET 400W - too loud.
  • Enermax Modu87+ - unavailable anywhere near me.
  • Revolution X'T 430W - too loud, pretty much the entire line is.
  • Enermax Triathlor series - unavailable anywhere near me.
... and countless others which were not worthy of enough attention for a more through look.

My primary concern is the elimination noise from the build. The CPU cooler will be either a NoFan CR-80EH, or a Noctua NH-L12, haven't decided yet - if the stock fan is louder than the HDDs, I'll replace it. (I know the HDDs will be noisy, but they won't be running all the time, and I plan to use some additional dampening if they start to annoy.) There is no dedicated GPU in the build, so no worries there. I'd like to keep it under $100, if possible. I've looked into the DC-DC solutions, but they're not available around here - which isn't a big problem since I'd like to keep everything in the case, and those appear to have external power bricks for the most part.

In terms of urgency, I'd like to purchase ASAP, thus I cannot wait for newcomers / rumored units to reach the market / maturity.

Any help or pointers are greatly appriciated, and I'd be more than happy to supply additional details, should they be required to help the process along, or if they might benefit future readers with similar problems - just point them out.

Abula

Re: Thermaltake Core V1 PSU

Post by Abula » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:37 pm

troot wrote:[*] The Silverstone ST30SF SFX 300W appears perfect, almost bought it, if it wasn't for the fact that only 3 SATA connectors are on it!
If this is perfect, i don't see why not get a Sata Splitter, here some options,
Silverstone Tek Four-in-One SATA Power Connectors with Power Stabilizing Capacitors (CP06)
StarTech.com 4x SATA Power Splitter Adapter Cable (PYO4SATA)
StarTech.com 6in Latching SATA Power Y Splitter Cable Adapter - M/F - 6 inch Serial ATA Power Cable Splitter - SATA Power Y Cable Adapter

If you are worried about overloading a line, which shouldn't be the case, but just in case, you can also use molex to sata power,
StarTech.com PYO2LP4LSATR 12-Inch LP4 to 2x Right Angle Latching SATA Power 4-Pin Molex to Dual 90 Degree Latching SATA Y Splitter

Lucky Luciano

Post by Lucky Luciano » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:24 am

troot wrote: The core issue is that while I'd like a fanless/silent/semi-fanless PSU, I've bought the case in advance along with an Enermax Triathlor PSU - which turned out to be an ECO version, which does not have the Enermax "twister" fan - which would have been not a problem, if the case did not emit a low-pitched hum audible a room away. I've RMA'd the PSU, but now I'm thrice as cautious.
I had this problem too because my PSU had a 140 fan which was choked by the case's 120 mm intake. In addition, the hard mounting also contributed to the noise (it doesn't matter if the PSU is sitting on rubber if it's held tight by screws). So I did two things, neither very convenient:
- I completely detached it so it sits on rubber with sticky tape (tho this means I have to take the panel off and hold the PSU if I have to plug the cable back in)
- More extreme: I enlarged the case's PSU intake to 140, basically I hacked off the entire grille and then some more.

troot

Post by troot » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:59 pm

Thanks for the response, Abula. Perfect might have been an exaggeration - considering the voltage regulation, I'd say it is less than perfect - but being the apparently sole semi-fanless design in this wattage bracket make it a good candidate. Haven't considered those cables, the one star reviews on most of them scared me away - cannot afford to get a bad one which takes any components with it.

What'd really make my day here is a PSU which is semi-fanless, needs at most a 10cm fan, and is at most 400W - in terms of ratings, 80plus is plenty, but of course I'm aware that dissipating less heat, that is, being more efficient, helps with fanless operation. The voltage lines have to be stable as rock, I don't want to have to replace components in years.
Lucky Luciano wrote: I had this problem too because my PSU had a 140 fan which was choked by the case's 120 mm intake. In addition, the hard mounting also contributed to the noise (it doesn't matter if the PSU is sitting on rubber if it's held tight by screws). So I did two things, neither very convenient:
- I completely detached it so it sits on rubber with sticky tape (tho this means I have to take the panel off and hold the PSU if I have to plug the cable back in)
- More extreme: I enlarged the case's PSU intake to 140, basically I hacked off the entire grille and then some more.
Thanks for your response, mounting it on a rubber base is something I'd consider anyway, and if it wasn't for your addition, I'd have went by simply putting a rubber sheet under the parts which make contact, and tighten the screws a bit. Problem is, I'd mind the cable pulled loose / the entire PSU pulled loose, but I might simply use rubber rope to secure it in place. If I it this way, I'll post some pictures.

JJAP

Post by JJAP » Thu May 21, 2015 12:31 pm

Have you considered the Seasonic G Series 450? ~$80, Semi-modular
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-p ... y-ssr450rm