Case/PSU for silent Avoton 2550 NAS/Media Streamer

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

wigster

Case/PSU for silent Avoton 2550 NAS/Media Streamer

Post by wigster » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:00 am

Hi,

I'd like to build a low-power and quiet NAS/Media Server. I'll run Windows Server 2012R2 Essentials to backup a couple of computers at home, serve the Squeezebox and Plex and to have remote access to my files, so nothing that taxing. Essentially, I am replacing a 7-year old WHS v1 box that is too old to deal with Plex properly.

I'm tending toward the Avoton 2550, in particular the Supermicro A1SAi-2550F Mini-ITX mainboard

http://www.supermicro.com/products/moth ... -2550f.cfm

It's a quad-core Atom SOC with a TDP of 14 W. A fully loaded system (no HDs) seems to take a smidgeon under 30 W according to this

http://www.servethehome.com/intel-atom- ... omparison/

I would like the enclosure to have space for 4 3.5" drives, preferably easily removable, but I'll live with hard to remove HDs, and for an SSD for the OS. Other than that, the main thing is silence. Is it possible to build this as a fanless setup with say 4 WD Red HDDs? If there are secondary considerations, smaller size is better than large (but not at price of noise).

I would appreciate recommendations for cases/PSUs to help me get this done! External PSU presumably makes more sense.

Thanks!

Abula

Re: Case/PSU for silent Avoton 2550 NAS/Media Streamer

Post by Abula » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:28 pm

The PSU will depend on the rest of the hardware you will run, specially the how many hdds, but probably a picoPSU might work good for a small server.

You could also run something like SilverStone DS380 8-Bay Server/NAS Chassis or Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case for a small server.