Big Hello to everyone!!

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

KNM

Big Hello to everyone!!

Post by KNM » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:17 am

Hi! :

After seeking for some time, finally I found - I hope - the reference place to get the best information, tips and advices for achieving/building a silent and pleasent PC. Sorry for my english, I´m from Spain. My name is Jaume ( James in English )

I´ve got a recent build ( February 2014 ) and added recently a graphics card, and this is the most powerful PC I´ve ever got since my first one back in 1997.

Here´s my build :

Motherboard Gigabyte : GA-H87-HD3 ATX Form Factor
Intel Core i5-4670K with stock cooler
8GBs RAM 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance ( 2 sticks of 4Gbs )
SSD Sandisk Ultra 64Gbs
3 HDDs ( One rescued from my last PC´s destruction )
1Tb Western Digital
1Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm
500Gb Seagate Barracuda
Lite-On DVD Burner
Gigabyte GTX-970 windforce 3x with 4Gbs RAM GDDR5

All this stuff packed on a BitFenix Shadow Case and powered with a Tacens Radix ECO VI with 650Watts and 80Bronze seal

Dual Boot with Windows 7 and OSX Yosemite 10.10

When I get to invest on a PC, I never thought in using a PC for gaming. But my friends insisted so many times on trying StarCraft 2 and now we´re created a just-for-fun team of noobs! And the actual consoles didn´t offer me nothing that excites me or make me invest in them. So, I decided to transform my desktop PC into a basic gaming machine. And here´s some mistakes I made in the way.

- About the case : I still think that is a good case. Can have decent airflow, but the CPU and GPU temperatures raises easily on some games ( specially on Assassin´s Creed Unity ). My friends have a shop and they could help me in some mods if necessary, addign a top fan with a dremmel.

- Stock Cooler : For gaming or video editing, this is useless. It won´t let the CPU surpass the 76-77ºC degrees, but the fast-spinning fan just drill my ears! For sure, the first thing I must change on my set.

- Fans : Just the pair who came with this case. Both BitFenix Spectre are PWM, even the one placed on the back of the case. The case admit 2x120 in the front, 1x120 at the bottom ( near the power supply ) and 1x120 on the back. As I said before, my friends could mod the case and put an extra exhaust at the top of the case drilling a hole and adding a 120mm extra fan for better cooling. First, test all the system, benchmarking and then will take decisions.

- Fan Controller : Still researching, but some things are clear now. It can control the RPMs, check temperatures, and control the entire set of fans at the RPMs you need. Big deal. Didn´t know about that since a pair of weeks ago.

- Graphic Card : It´s a monster! I´ve just wanted a 760 because for playing Metal Gear and the upcoming The Phantom Pain, but NVIDIA just release the 960 and cranked my brain. Wich one will choose? I´ll invested 7 months of saving money on the 970 and I can breathe for a couple of years. The gigabyte model comes with 3, 920mm fans, and its software didn´t allow me to choose the RPMs. On a 20ºC room, the graphic fans in Iddle didn´t came down from 1500 RPMs and GPU-Z shows me an amazing temperature of 29ºC on my card! Oh, just let me slow down the coolers and control de fan speed according to its performance! :(

I did it again! Sorry for this BIG post. It supposed to be to say hello and introduce myself, but I can´t stop typing or talking! As I said before, thank you all in advance and sorry if I can´t express me correctly in English. Hope will get some good tips and solutions for achieving a good and silent setup as good as I can.

Cheers!

KNM
Unleashed!

Gunbuster

Re: Big Hello to everyone!!

Post by Gunbuster » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:09 am

Welcome to SPCR