Help with new build

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

showstopper

Help with new build

Post by showstopper » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:53 pm

Hi all.

I want to relocate the parts from my Plex Server\Gaming PC into the living room and I am after some advice.

Bits I currently have:

CPU: i7-4770k
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme4
RAM: G-Skills 8GB (2 x 4GB) 2133
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 780Ti SC
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
HDD: 4 x 3TB WD Reds in RAID5
PSU: Corsair AX760i

Bits I am looking at:

Case: Lian-Li PC-Q25B
Motherboard: ASRock Z97E-ITX

Bits I am concerned about:

CPU Cooler: This is a very high cooler and probably too big for this type of build
RAM: The heat spreaders make this RAM quite tall so I think they may need to be changed
PSU: I am not too happy with the performance of this PSU and it maybe too deep for this build

This will mainly be used as my Plex Server but I also want to use it for gaming. Any advice on parts or the build please let me know!

Thanks,

Quinnbeast

Re: Help with new build

Post by Quinnbeast » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:22 pm

From what I've read, you're limited to a PSU that's strictly 140mm in length, and a CPU cooler that's no taller than 78mm. I guess the RAM height will depend on the cooler, but if you're looking at certain low-profile options, then your current RAM might be troublesome as well.

It may be worth seeing if you can revise your choice of case first off; there might be something slightly bigger that will negate the need to replace certain parts. I'd imagine that the 780Ti will put out a fair bit of heat, and that Lian-Li box looks to be fairly limited for venting.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:50 pm

that case has very restrictive intake, which then runs into a hdd cage, and uses PSU as exhaust. not conducive to silent running without massive modding IMO.

showstopper

Post by showstopper » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:56 am

Thanks for replying guys.

I need to measure again but the issue i have is that the TV unit is 31cm high.
I did look at the fractal node 804 but i think it might just struggle to get in.

If anyone knows of any other 31cm high cased that can house 4 x 3.5" disks please list them!!

Thanks.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:16 pm

showstopper wrote:Thanks for replying guys.

I need to measure again but the issue i have is that the TV unit is 31cm high.
I did look at the fractal node 804 but i think it might just struggle to get in.

If anyone knows of any other 31cm high cased that can house 4 x 3.5" disks please list them!!

Thanks.
almost any standard atx/matx case...

...placed on its side. :mrgreen:

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:28 pm

Also - you'll need to think about unobstructed airflow if you are trying to cram a gaming PC into an enclosed space. Otherwise, it'll get hot and very noisy.

showstopper

Post by showstopper » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:18 pm

CA_Steve wrote:Also - you'll need to think about unobstructed airflow if you are trying to cram a gaming PC into an enclosed space. Otherwise, it'll get hot and very noisy.
Thats why i like the Node 804. I can have 4 fans at the front and room for a couple or rear exhaust fans. I need to re-measure as i want the node over the lian-li!

Quinnbeast

Post by Quinnbeast » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:58 pm

It could well be that the 804 is your only option if you're definitely sticking with the 4x 3.5" drives. The closest is probably the Corsair 250D (2cm shorter), but it's a 2x 2.5 & 2x 3.5 drive layout.

Just modify your furniture. What's the worst that could happen? 8)