Help with silencing PC

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Morzan

Help with silencing PC

Post by Morzan » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:42 am

Hi,

so I've got this build for some time now (just the important parts):
Intel Xeon E3-123v3 + Scythe Kotetsu
ASUS Vanguard B85
MSI GTX 970 Gaming
Fractal Design Arc Mini + 3 Fractal fans that came with it

I've put the Kotetsu on the CPU since the review here (I hope it was here) seemed to quite like it for it's price and it seems OK, however, I'm really not happy with the Fractal fans, I've got them connected via 3-pins to the motherboard and have the ASUS app control them as it sees fit, but since I've got the case on a desk quite near to me, they're just too noisy for my taste (I'm sure the GPU cooler isn't exactly that quiet as well, but that's just under load as it doesn't spin while idle). I'm also aware that with case like mine, I'm never going to achieve the same level of noise as I would with something a little less perforated.

So my question is, if I just buy 3 Scythe Slip Steam fans, two front, one back and let the app take of the rest, will my situation improve? Or do I have to like put different fans on front and back to achieve more effective cooling while maintaining positive pressure?

Abula

Re: Help with silencing PC

Post by Abula » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:41 pm

Welcome to SPCR!!!
I'm really not happy with the Fractal fans, I've got them connected via 3-pins to the motherboard and have the ASUS app control them as it sees fit, but since I've got the case on a desk quite near to me, they're just too noisy for my taste (I'm sure the GPU cooler isn't exactly that quiet as well, but that's just under load as it doesn't spin while idle)
Are you using FanXpert? if so do can you take a screenshot of it?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:57 pm

WELCOME TO SPCR!

what are cpu/gpu/mobo temps at idle and at maxed ?
and what are the fan rpm's at those temps?

Morzan

Post by Morzan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:11 am

Right, so I don't have FanXpert, just this "light" version that came with this MB. These would be the RPMs and temperatures at idle. Right now, the fans are 1 intake 2 out (I guess that can be seen in the picture as well), I wanted to switch them to 2 in 1 out for quite some time now but didn't get around to actually do it.