Quiet Work Station/ Gaming Machine

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dannywaugh1

Quiet Work Station/ Gaming Machine

Post by dannywaugh1 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:52 am

Hi all,

My name is Danny, I am from the UK.

Very glad to have found a website like SPCR as I am now in need of a new computer to build. But it needs to be quiet and powerful at the same time.

Main uses for the new machine will be video editing/rendering work station and gaming. My current machine is 8 years old, its an q6600 cpu with a 560ti gpu and this thing runs loud! As I am typing this right now I have a DB meter to the left of me and computer to the right on the floor around 1ft away from me and around 1.5-2ft from the db meter that is on my desk. The average I am getting from the computer in the room is 53.3db.

I need a little help with specs, so far I have listed the below parts. Let me know what you guys think and would or change.

Asus GeForce GTX 980Ti DC3 OC Strix
Intel i7-5820K 3.30GHz
Asus X99-Deluxe
Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C15 3000MHz Quad Channel Kit
Fractal Design Define XL R2 Midi Tower Case
Noctua NH-D15 Dual Radiator Quiet CPU Cooler with two NH-A15 Fans
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD X3
Noctua NF-A14 PWM Fan X5

Now I have listed 5 Noctua NF-A14 PWM Fans, the reason for this is to replace all fans in the case and add 1 fan to the side panel. But as I say I want this to be cool and quiet but powerful. I will also be over clocking the system.

I do not know basically anything about quiet pcs but I know I have come to the right place.

Go easy on me :)

dannywaugh1

Re: Quiet Work Station/ Gaming Machine

Post by dannywaugh1 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:32 pm

I have been thinking of using a corsair h100i gtx instead of the noctua cooler but replacing the corsair fans with noctua NF-F12 PWM.
Thinking about this what would be the best fan set up in this case?

H100iGTX at the top with fans pushing air through the radiator and out the case then all other fans as intakes including rear fan? or, H100iGTX at the top with fans pushing air through the radiator and out the case and all other fans as intake and the rear fan as exhaust?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:21 pm

Welcome to SPCR.

Water cooling seldom provides a quieter solution than a decent air cooler (like the Noctua and some others). If you are planning to do some wild overclocking/overvolting, then it's easier to maintain cooler temps with liquid cooling. O/w, better to stick with air.

Big jump going from the Q6600 to Haswell E :)

Asus GeForce GTX 980Ti DC3 OC Strix - ok
Intel i7-5820K 3.30GHz - ok
Asus X99-Deluxe - there's an updated version with a USB 3.1 port. Also, look over the feature differences between the Asus boards. No reason to overbuy if you don't need the feature.
Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD - you've got an M.2 slot on this mobo - might consider getting a PCIe SSD rather than SATA for faster interface.
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply - your stressed load power as configured is 440W, figure a heavy gaming load of 375W. So, this is really overkill. Something like the be quiet Straight Power 10 CM 600W would work.
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C15 3000MHz Quad Channel Kit - I haven't spent much time looking at Haswell E....but, above 2400/2666 the performance improvement is fairly flat.
Fractal Design Define XL R2 Midi Tower Case - How about the Define R5 instead?
Noctua NH-D15 Dual Radiator Quiet CPU Cooler with two NH-A15 Fans - that'll work - a Scythe Ninja 4 with a single fan is quieter with similar performance.
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD X3 - let the PCIe SSD do the heavy lifting and get a slow HDD like the WD Red for data storage - it'll be quieter.
Noctua NF-A14 PWM Fan X5 - my suggestion is build it with the two stock case fans and see if you like the thermal/acoutic performance. If you don't like the stock fans, you can replace them. At most, you'll need 2 front and 1 rear fan.

Also, here's a useful site for you to compare UK pricing at a few of the etailers.

dannywaugh1

Post by dannywaugh1 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:55 pm

Thank you for the information. As I say i do not know anything about were to start building and making it quiet. I have never water cooled anything before so might stick with air or even get the h100i GTX.

I will now have a good think about the motherboard and features just to make sure I'm not over buying. Also going back to the drawing board to recheck the whole spec with what you have said. Great information thank you!