Case recommendation for these system specs please

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Riotubes

Case recommendation for these system specs please

Post by Riotubes » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:16 pm

System:

Goal: archviz workstation (cad, Photoshop, octane render, sketch up)
i7-6700k
Noctua NH-D14 or D15 cpu cooler (depending on height limitation)
EVGA GTX 980 TI hybrid GPU 10.5"
DDR4 16 GB RAM
3.5" HDD for archive and media files
SSD for op sys and apps
SSD (may add 2 add'l small drives in future for scratch disc and current project files)
Asus Z170-A mobo
One optical drive DVD
850W PSU TBD

Case limitations:
- Must be 9" or narrower
- height and depth not important
- top mounted USB ports
- optical drive tray that opens parallel to floor (not vertical)
- good ventilation and heat control
- quiet case (current set up is noisy and culprit is GPU)
- don't mind being conservative on size (larger) to achieve temp and noise objectives

I have no idea and greatly appreciate your suggestions. Thanks!

Abula

Re: Case recommendation for these system specs please

Post by Abula » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:30 pm

Welcome Riotubes to SPCR!!!!

If quiet computing is what you are aiming this build, im going to suggest you swap some components (thats if you dont own them already).
i7-6700k
Fine
Noctua NH-D14 or D15 cpu cooler (depending on height limitation)
Consider the Scythe Ninja 4: A Legend Reborn, cheaper and top notch performance.
EVGA GTX 980 TI hybrid GPU 10.5"
Consider the MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti, should be quieter, or if your budget allows what techpowerup considers the queitest GTX980Ti, MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Lightning 6GB.
DDR4 16 GB RAM
Fine
3.5" HDD for archive and media files
Consider WD Reds or Greens, among the quietest drives for storage, whatever fits your budget and size requierments.
SSD for op sys and apps
SSD (may add 2 add'l small drives in future for scratch disc and current project files)
Samsung 850Pro is what i recommend, but depending on your budget Samsung 850Evo or Crucial MX200 are good alternatives.
Asus Z170-A mobo
Fine
One optical drive DVD
I no longer use opticals but if you must go for it.
850W PSU TBD
For the components you are planning, i would recommend 650W as the most, EVGA has a very good line with the P2, EVGA SuperNOVA 220-P2-0650-X1 650W, but if you feel you need more watts chose whatever you feel comfortable.
Case limitations:
- Must be 9" or narrower
- height and depth not important
- top mounted USB ports
- optical drive tray that opens parallel to floor (not vertical)
- good ventilation and heat control
- quiet case (current set up is noisy and culprit is GPU)
- don't mind being conservative on size (larger) to achieve temp and noise objectives
9'' = 229mm, if you were to allow a little more, the Fractal Design Define R5 dimensions are (WxHxD): 232 x 451 x 521mm, its very easy to build on it, great cable management, good dampening, very flexible into what you can build (including opticals), it has top USB ports, it should be more than adequate for what you are planning, just 3mm more than your desired width. Saldy the FT05 has a vertical optical and slim but the Silverstone FT02 does have 5.25 slots and its demsions fit the 229mm restriction, 212mm (W) x 497mm (H) x 616mm (D), 64.9 liters, it was reviewed by SPCR Silverstone Fortress FT02 Revisited and got the editors choice, but do remember you do have to undervolt the AP181 heavily, and the Asus Z170A you have in mind should do it fine, btw also has top USB ports (newer models do have USB3 ports). Another option could be Nanoxia Deep Silence 3, has top mounted USB ports, standard 5.25 slots, and the dimensions fit your restriction, Width (Approx.): 207 mm.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:10 am

Riotubes wrote:Noctua NH-D14 or D15 cpu cooler (depending on height limitation)

Already adviced: consider also delidding the CPU (now there are handy tools to do that).

Riotubes wrote:EVGA GTX 980 TI hybrid GPU 10.5"

Already adviced: ASUS Strix/MSI Gaming are more noise-conscious choices.

Riotubes wrote:850W PSU TBD

450W is 30% more than enough, pick a Super Flower Golden Silent 430 or a Rosewill Silent Night 500.

Riotubes wrote:I have no idea and greatly appreciate your suggestions

With a 250W TDP GPU, personally I'd probably look at something like a Phanteks Enthoo Pro.

Last but not least, did you consider watercooling?

Riotubes

Post by Riotubes » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:19 pm

I want to thank you both for the warm reception and helpful reply.

I have taken into consideration some of your suggestions and have refined my parts list:

Mobo: Asus Z170-A
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 220-P2-0650-X1 650W
CPU: i7-6700K
Cooler: Scythe Ninja 4 cpu cooler
GPU: EGA 980ti Hybrid
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000
Op Disk: SAMSUNG SM951 M.2 256GB PCI-Express 3.0 Internal SSD
File Disk: HGST 4TB Deskstar 3.5" SATA III MFR # 0S03355
Case: Fractal Design Define R5

I've changed the cpu cooler as suggested. I am still researching which version of 980ti GPU but I must rank performance over noise as it is used for heavy duty rendering (Octane Render).

Couple of Changes:
I would like to use the m.2 pci-e SSD which I understand plugs into the mobo and, hence, will not be using a drive tray.
Next, I may want to use a second lower end GPU for the monitor so that the 980ti can be used for apps (I read a few posts from app users about this).
If I add a lower end GPU (i.e. like GTX 650), what is the wattage requirement for the psu with these two GPUs and what would be the recommendation for the psu sku?

CASE:
On the case, I will measure tonight whether 232mm will work (Fractal R5), but I am open to other suggestions, especially since it appears I will be using only 1 or 2 drive trays at most with the switch to the m.2 pci express 3.0 for at least 1 SSD. Because this case will sit in a narrow channel between the desk return and wall, usb ports and horizontal optical drive mount is easier to access. Further thoughts on the case?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:57 pm

Riotubes wrote:I am still researching which version of 980ti GPU but I must rank performance over noise as it is used for heavy duty rendering (Octane Render).

Is that EVGA the fastest? Shouldn't the adviced MSI Lightining be higher clocked?

Riotubes wrote:If I add a lower end GPU (i.e. like GTX 650), what is the wattage requirement for the psu with these two GPUs and what would be the recommendation for the psu sku?

If 2D is your only visualization task, something like a GTX 650 is unnecessary old and power-wise pointless, any low end fanless GPU will be more than enough: what about relying upon the Intel IGP?

Riotubes wrote:Further thoughts on the case?
Already expressed my relevant thought: broadly speaking I don't like closed enclosures for hot GPUs, it's often counter-productive, noise-wise, but it heavily depends of the VGA of choice.

Riotubes

Post by Riotubes » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:19 am

Thank you both for helping me spec these parts.

Luca - as you suggested, I'll use the internal graphics of the cpu for the monitor for starters.

I plan to build the PC over the weekend. I did end up ordering the Scythe Ninja 4 cpu cooler as Quest recommended.
I'm concerned about the compatibility with the Trident Z series 2x8GB RAM sticks as they are larger than normal.
Is there a compatibility website to check this? I'm concerned that I may have to order a new and smaller cooler and it will end up delaying my build (current pc is dead).
Luca had suggested liquid cooling...I'm just not experienced enough to tackle a custom build.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:15 am

Riotubes wrote:Is there a compatibility website to check this?

Well, supposing you will mount the Glidestream in a front to back orientation (you can use any of the Ninja's four sides), you can't use the first two slots with anything higher than regular DIMMs, so you will be forced to use the last two slots (or swap the Trident Z with the shy Ares): that's my first hand experience.
Riotubes wrote:Luca had suggested liquid cooling...I'm just not experienced enough to tackle a custom build.

Just look for information in the right places (extremerigs is a somehow good start, in english, but also the SPCR article about that).

Riotubes

Post by Riotubes » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:05 am

Despite my efforts, I messed up.
I used pcpartpicker and did not see any compatibility issues with Trident Z Ram and the Scythe Ninja 4.
I called ASUS and they said I must use A2 and B2 for 2x8 (or A2 for 1x16) Ram. A2 is the 2nd slot.

My RAM requirements for the Z170 1151 mobo is:

- 1.35v
- 288 pin DIMM
- DDR4

And TridentZ was made for Skylake or at least advertised as such.

G.skill Ares does not come up when configuring the specs in pcpartpicker (1.35v, 288, DDR4)

I'm totally out of my element on this. Any thoughts? Smaller cpu cooler or much smaller RAM given I need to use A2 slot (2nd closest to cpu) whether I go 2x8 or 1x16?
Last edited by Riotubes on Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:54 am

Asus are simply saying that if you have two memory sticks the pair of memory slots (2nd and 4th) that are slightly further away from the cooler can be used to avoid any conflict between the memory heat sinks and the cooler fan. In practice you can also just move the fan a bit further up on the cooler to provide additional clearance. I would be fairly happy that a combination of both of these measures should mean that your Trident Z memory will fit OK, and there is no need to change your choice of cooler or the memory you want.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:26 pm

Riotubes wrote:A2 is the 2nd slot.

More probably that not it's too close to the CPU socket for the Ninja 4.

You may either mount the fan in a different position, or slide up the fan of about 1.5cm (loosing some cooling prowess), otherwise swap the Ninja with a slim tower, and eventually use a shorter (30-33mm) DIMM (like Crucial Ballistix Sport, Kingston HyperX Fury/Savage) if you can swap the RAM.

Riotubes wrote:I'm totally out of my element on this. Any thoughts? Smaller cpu cooler or much smaller RAM given I need to use A2 slot (2nd closest to cpu) whether I go 2x8 or 1x16?

Single channel RAM is a waste of performances, though it's an option for general purpose systems: personally I'd opt for either a lower profile RAM kit, or a slimmer cooler (something like Scythe Kotetsu, BeQuiet Shadow Rock Slim, and similar ones).

By the way, IMHO the first move is trying to mount the Ninja's fan facing upwards (if you have enough space between the cooler and your 980Ti).