Need tips to make my new PC silent (not bought it yet)

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

carpediem86

Need tips to make my new PC silent (not bought it yet)

Post by carpediem86 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:20 pm

Hi!
This is my first post here on SPR. I have build many computers and know all the basics. But I have not build many silent PCs (just one, a HTPC). Now I want to build a quite powerful PC and then it is more challenging to make it on a low noise level. I don't need a totally silent PC. I plan to overclock it a bit (the CPU at least) and I would like it to be quiet on a budget.

This is my first draft: http://www.prisjakt.nu/list.php?l=2987636&view=o

Any recommendations? I will remove one of the SSDs, problably the M.2 card. I already have a normal HDD that I will add in and I got things like keyboard and monitors.

CA_Steve

Re: Need tips to make my new PC silent (not bought it yet)

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:09 pm

Welcome to SPCR.

For similar performance but a quieter card that uses less power, I'd replace the R9 380 with an MSI GTX 960 Gaming.

What are your apps/games/monitor resolution?

carpediem86

Post by carpediem86 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:23 pm

CA_Steve wrote:Welcome to SPCR.

For similar performance but a quieter card that uses less power, I'd replace the R9 380 with an MSI GTX 960 Gaming.

What are your apps/games/monitor resolution?
Thank you, I will change that. My main monitor runs at 1920*1200 and my second monitor at 1920*1080. I only play at my main monitor so maybe the 2GB version of the graphic card could be enough. I don't play that much anymore. Some Hearthstone, some Dota 2. But I like to play and want to have an okay graphic card even if it is a bit overkill for the two games I play at the moment. The PSU could also be okay with lower power, much lower. But I used my last PSU for a really long time and for 3 computers and plan to do so with this one also.

Edit: I will probably order a 4k display also so I will need the 4GB memory it seems.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:27 am

Another benefit of Nvidia over AMD with the current gen cards: AMD doesn't idle their memclock when you have 2+ monitors attached. So, that adds significantly to idle/2D power use.

4k gaming: Heh. These are probably two of the very few games that may run ok with just a GTX 960. Most everything else would require at least a 980 Ti or SLI.

PSU: Yep, it's overkill for your power needs. Your stress load power is around 260W and gaming load of ~220W . The upside is the fan won't ever turn on. You could easily drop to the 650 and not have a fan come on or drop to the 550 and only have it come on during games. What are the other vendors available to you?

carpediem86

Post by carpediem86 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:07 pm

CA_Steve wrote:Another benefit of Nvidia over AMD with the current gen cards: AMD doesn't idle their memclock when you have 2+ monitors attached. So, that adds significantly to idle/2D power use.

4k gaming: Heh. These are probably two of the very few games that may run ok with just a GTX 960. Most everything else would require at least a 980 Ti or SLI.

PSU: Yep, it's overkill for your power needs. Your stress load power is around 260W and gaming load of ~220W . The upside is the fan won't ever turn on. You could easily drop to the 650 and not have a fan come on or drop to the 550 and only have it come on during games. What are the other vendors available to you?
Yeah I have had a 550w power supply for my last two computers and used an overclocked i7 920 that uses a lot of power. But it is not that big price difference so I think I will still get the 750w version, and as you said it can then probably run without the fan to be all quiet.

Scaling on a 4k monitor should be able to be done to exactly 1/4th of the resolution (to 1080p). Do you know if the Dell P2715Q can handle this or if it will make some kind of interpolation even if it is not needed? I heard that some monitors do that, but couldn't find anything about the Dell monitor.

Thank you for the tip about idle with multiple monitors. I will definetely get a Nvidia card then!

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:27 pm

I don't know about the Dell.

carpediem86

Post by carpediem86 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:32 pm

CA_Steve wrote:I don't know about the Dell.
No problem, I googled some more and it seems like people that get a blurry picture with any 4k monitor on 1080p just has the wrong settings, for example with scaling in Windows.

"What are the other vendors available to you?"
I live in Sweden but we have quite a lot of online stores and also it could be possible to ship from other European countries without too much shipping cost.

What about extra sound proofing material. Should I buy extra foamy things to have in the chassi and maybe some rubber things for the harddrive (the normal one, not the SSD). Any recommendations for things like this?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:47 pm

You might check out the pricing of the be quiet! Straight Power 10 550CM. It's an always on fan, but it'll be inaudible.

Extra soundproofing - about the only uncertainty will be your hard drive. What's the make and model?

carpediem86

Post by carpediem86 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:17 pm

CA_Steve wrote:You might check out the pricing of the be quiet! Straight Power 10 550CM. It's an always on fan, but it'll be inaudible.

Extra soundproofing - about the only uncertainty will be your hard drive. What's the make and model?
I will check it out. Seems like onlye the 500w CM version is sold here. I think I have a WD green 5400 rpm disk, 2 or 4 TB. I'm away for a few months so I am not sure. I got no rubber things or anything extra for it.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:33 am

I mispoke - 500CM is it. WD Green are generally pretty quiet and low vibration. You can mount it as is in the lower drive cage and probably won't hear any vibration.