want input on my build

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Nhyrum

want input on my build

Post by Nhyrum » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:53 am

Hello all!

I am a newbie here(as can be seen as this is my first post) and am new to the silent(well, as near to technically silent as possible) realm, and it has me intrigued!

I have put together a build here

the 8 ssd's i will have in a raid 60 with writeback.

how does the be quiet! CPU cooler compare to the say, coolermaster V8 GTS? coolermasters site says its max Dba is something insane like 27! yikes. maybe some better fans will help it be quiet?

are there better PSU's tht will be sufficient and quiet enough?

Are the fans i have selected OK? Do I have enough to run them at min speeds or max 700 rpm?

I may replace the i7 with an i5 4660 because i wont be doing a TON of multi threading...

any other suggestions? The rig will be a moderate gaming build with maybe another 980 ti in for 4k, it will be doing some live stream gaming and some video editing in for the future.

Thank you in advance!

CA_Steve

Re: want input on my build

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:41 am

Welcome to SPCR.

Take a look at SPCR's R5 Gaming Build article to get a feel for balancing components/thermals/noise.

- Yeah, i5 is good enough for gaming. If you haven't already gone Haswell, check out Skylake. Mostly for the chipset feature improvements.
- I don't understand the need for Raid 6+0.
- Lots of fans there. I suggest building with the stock fans first and see if you like their tonal quality. Then decide what you want to swap out/add. Chances are, 2 front and 1 rear are good enough.
- gfx card: Big improvements expected mid-2016. Suggest buying a decent 1080p card now and then spending the bucks for a 4k card later.
- cooler: As you have an H97 board listed, you aren't overclocking. So, no severe demands on the cooler. Scythe Kotetsu or Mugen 4 suggested.
- PSU: If you like Corsair, look at the RMx line. EVGA P2 650 is also pretty great. be quiet! Straight Power 10 has always on fan...but it's inaudible for most loads.

Nhyrum

Post by Nhyrum » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:37 am

I havent already necissarily "gone" haswell, but i do have the h97 plus mobo sitting on my parts bench. i picked it up for a pretty good deal and as im not into overclocking it fit what i needed. Thats why i went haswell. skylake would be nice for "future proofing" but... meh, oh well.

the raid 60 is mainly for funsies, i like the idea of being able to have 4 drives fail simultaneously and not cause issues, i may do a raid 10, or 50 later. the main reason for adding that 0 in is for added speed. if I remember right with my current raid controller spec'ed out i can get near 4 GB/s read speeds.

other than that i have a blank canvas.

not sure what to do for a case, but i hear that the r4/r5's are pretty popular.

For my GPU, I think after the big release later this year, it may drive the price of the 980 ti down even farther, but ill have to see what comes out. I definitely want to stay away from AMD because ive seen some benchmarks and they draw almost twice as much power for the same or sometimes even less output. more heat and more noise(i was gonna go with a 290 or 390).

most the other stuff i have gathered together from other things ive read here and other places, so there really is no branding i want to stay with.

Is there a good dynamic fan controller(hardware) out there? i have seen some that are touch screen, and others just have dials.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:29 pm

Nhyrum wrote:the raid 60 is mainly for funsies, i like the idea of being able to have 4 drives fail simultaneously and not cause issues, i may do a raid 10, or 50 later. the main reason for adding that 0 in is for added speed. if I remember right with my current raid controller spec'ed out i can get near 4 GB/s read speeds.
Um, ok. If the primary uses are gaming and video editing, I'd rather have an OS + programs SSD, a data/workspace SSD, and an HDD (or big assed SSD) for long term storage/backup...and another separately connected HDD for archival backups. Don't think you'll get any real life benefit speed-wise with going RAID. YMMV.
Nhyrum wrote:not sure what to do for a case, but i hear that the r4/r5's are pretty popular.
Yep, I recommend them a lot. I'm happy with my R4 build (in signature).
Nhyrum wrote:For my GPU, I think after the big release later this year, it may drive the price of the 980 ti down even farther, but ill have to see what comes out. I definitely want to stay away from AMD because ive seen some benchmarks and they draw almost twice as much power for the same or sometimes even less output. more heat and more noise(i was gonna go with a 290 or 390).
2015 gfx cards - yep, go Nvidia if you want decent performance/watt. Both AMD and Nvidia are touting huge increases in performance/watt with the 2016 architectures. Chances are, whatever comes out will beat the pants off of an SLI 980 Ti in terms of price and power use at a given performance point. So, you might be better off in the summer selling whatever you buy now and just replace it with the future card.
Nhyrum wrote:Is there a good dynamic fan controller(hardware) out there? i have seen some that are touch screen, and others just have dials.
Why not use your motherboard's fan control software? Fan Xpert is the best of the lot.

Nhyrum

Post by Nhyrum » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:49 pm

Yeah, I know that raid is a little... OK A LOT over kill and completely unnecessary, but it sounds fun. I might actually get a handful of m2 ssd's and get a raid 5 with those, if I can find a pcie card that has more than 2 m2 slots on it. I do plan on having a 2tb HDD back up, just can't decide if I want a wd caviar black or red drive.

One reason I need a Physical fan controller is I my tower will be in, basically a drawer, in my desk(it's made to have a PC in it, but with the door closed there is no airflow so I will be custom mounting 6+ fans to it and my mobo won't have enough headers and power

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:54 pm

raid is for servers, so they can stay running when a drive or 2 fails.
there is simply no need for raid in the home, or even in a sizeable office scenario. dont learn that lesson the hard way. (just my 2 cents.)

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:58 pm

Nhyrum wrote:.. my tower will be in, basically a drawer, in my desk(it's made to have a PC in it, but with the door closed there is no airflow ..
Really, really, really bad idea for a PC with a high powered gfx card...let alone possibly two. Where do you expect the heat to go? It'll get really loud and then it'll overheat and throttle.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:56 pm

CA_Steve wrote:
Nhyrum wrote:.. my tower will be in, basically a drawer, in my desk(it's made to have a PC in it, but with the door closed there is no airflow ..
Really, really, really bad idea for a PC with a high powered gfx card...let alone possibly two. Where do you expect the heat to go? It'll get really loud and then it'll overheat and throttle.
stupid throttling... how's a guy supposed to get that flame-shooting-out-of-the-desk-drawer effect anymore?! :mrgreen:

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:10 am

Nhyrum wrote:so I will be custom mounting 6+ fans to it and my mobo won't have enough headers and power

You need a splitter, not a fan controller (and PWM fans: btw, Corsair AF are not that great, noise-wise).

Nhyrum

Post by Nhyrum » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:06 am

CA_Steve wrote:
That's why I want to put 6+ fans of the back. If push comes to shove, I can take the door off.

What are some good airflow fans?