Passive cooling

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

music33

Passive cooling

Post by music33 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:59 am

I plan on building a low power, silent PC.
I plan on using the ASRock X99M extreme4 motherboard and either the Xeon E5-2620 V3 or i7-3930k chip. I want a hexacore chip.

The case needs to have one hot-pluggable bay. The HDPlex 2nd gen H5 case would be perfect, but they don't support LGA 2011-3. Is there another model or manufacturer that would have a case with no fan and passive cooling?
Or the other alternative would be to get passively cooled heat sink for the CPU, but with the size variations I'm not sure which case would be best for which heat sink. Does anyone know of a passive heat sink and case that would meet my requirements?

Any suggestions would be extremely helpful.
Many thanks in advance,
Dave

Abula

Re: Passive cooling

Post by Abula » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:48 am

Welcome to SPCR Dave.

I dont think its such a good idea to go for such CPU with the intent of passive cooling, there are limits into what this setups can handle. Given that you can practically cool anything passive, the size you would require for cooling this CPUs would be much larger than whats available, as an alternative you could try NoFan95C which is one of the biggest passive coolers around, SPCR did review it NoFan CR-95C Copper Fanless CPU Cooler, but i would still hesitate to recommend the use for hexa core, even my 4770K can reach close to 100C on heavy load (prime95), a higher CPU will require more cooling, not sure if the NoFan95 will be able to handle a hexa core, also crosscheck if it supports the mounting of the LGA2011.

Btw this wont be low power, if you want that go with Celeron or Pentium or Atom, a hexacore and X99 is most call high end, and should be high consumption. It will bind you to to an PCIe GPU, thus increasing even more the consumption. If you want low power go with Intel and with a built in gpu, that will give you the consumption, even quads can idle low.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:30 am

music33 wrote:Does anyone know of a passive heat sink and case that would meet my requirements?

I don't know any. Mind: fanless does not mean no cooling.

music33 wrote:Any suggestions would be extremely helpful.

If I were you, I wouldn't look for fanless.

music33

Post by music33 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:48 pm

A little more info, there will be no graphics card, I'm just going to RDP into this machine.
There will just be the motherboard and memory essentially. I'll boot from an external drive.

The E5-2620 V3 is 85W. The HDPlex H5 specs say it can cool an 85W chip. I'm not sure why there isn't something else for the LGA 2011-3 socket.

thanks,
dave