Computer is loud - I need to upgrade it

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

abcabc1

Computer is loud - I need to upgrade it

Post by abcabc1 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:31 am

Hello everyone,
my current computer is:

Intel core i3-3220 lga1155 [cooler: intel e97379-001]
Gigabyte B75M-D2V
Ballistix Sport Crucial 1333 2x4 GB
Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GT630 1024MB DDR3
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003
Power supply: Chieftec CTG-400-80P
Case: Brutus 310 pure black (fan: 1x120 mm)

I can invest not more than 200$. Please share your suggestions what would you recommend to change in order to decrease dB level. I was thinking about buying Fractal Design Define R5 case and Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 CPU cooler, however I am not sure if this is a correct idea.
Thank you,
abcabc1

CA_Steve

Re: Computer is loud - I need to upgrade it

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:16 am

Welcome to SPCR.

Have you tried to isolate the sources of noise? Is is fan noise? Is it vibrational/seek noise from the HDD? Something else? What are your component temps like under heavy load?

Here's a couple of suggestions:

- Case: I wouldn't bother with a replacement. Make the stuff inside quieter, first.

- Case fan: There should be two 120mm 1200rpm fans with this case (front and rear). Are they just plugged into the PSU or are they plugged into the motherboard? Are they just running at full speed? Cheap fix: Buy a Zalman Fan Mate 2 and a 3-pin Y-splitter adapter. Connect the case fans to this and dial them down to a reasonable speed that still provides some airflow.

- Gfx card: Is it fanned or passive? If fanned, download MSI's Afterburner s/w and use it to set a more reasonable fan profile.

- CPU cooler: Scythe Kotetsu.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:20 am

Bah, the Silencium case is limited to 157mm tall cooler and the Kotetsu is 160mm.. It still might fit...or go for the Scythe Mugen 4 which is 155mm.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:41 am

May i ask why are you using the Nvidia GT630 isntead of intel 2500?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:19 am

CA_Steve wrote:Bah, the Silencium case is limited to 157mm tall cooler and the Kotetsu is 160mm.. It still might fit...or go for the Scythe Mugen 4 which is 155mm.
You forgot a PSU, maybe (that Chieftec is half a step away from trash, IMO).

abcabc1

Post by abcabc1 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:25 am

Thank you for your responses.

Abula - I don't know. This is how the computer was set up in a store.

CA_Steve - the noise is caused mainly by the case fan, and on the 2nd place by the cpu cooler.
HDD, GPU fan and PSU noises seem to be less troubling.
I don't know what are the temperatures. This computer is only used for web surfing and typical work like ms office etc.
The case has only one 120 mm fan mounted, plugged to the motherboard, speed is ~1200 rpm.
The another 120 mm fans seem to be optional and can be installed on the top and in the front of the case. What model do you suggest?
I will look at the MSI Afterburner.

baii

Post by baii » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:15 am

Dark Rock pro 3 is overkill, I would get a 30-40 120/140 tower and be done with it. Look at true spirit 120 or cryorig h7 if height is limited.

Use the rest to upgrade to a better GPU? Maybe if you game.

Did you isolate which part is loudest BTW?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:25 pm

abcabc1 wrote:Abula - I don't know. This is how the computer was set up in a store.
Well, they didn't install the second fan that comes with the case, they installed a gfx card you don't need for your applications, and as Luca mentioned, the PSU isn't that great. So, not that hot of a computer store.

Here's my revised suggestion list:

1) Forget Afterburner. Remove the gfx card and plug your monitor into the motherboard's gfx connector. You'll probably need to update the Intel gfx drivers...This will remove a heat and noise source and not affect your use.
2) Get some kinda free monitoring s/w installed, like HWiNFO or OCCT. See what your temps and CPU/case fan speeds actually are for idle and while running Prime95. Maybe the CPU fan isn't set up properly and it's also running at max speed or something. While I tend to diss Intel coolers, the i3 cooler isn't ALL that bad.
3) a) Boot into BIOS and look for the fan settings...even these older Gigabyte motherboards should have a way of altering the fan speed from "just run at max speed" to something slower. See if that helps.
b) If you like the affect, but it doesn't drop the case fan speed to inaudible, buy a Zalman Fan Mate II for ~$10. Manually control your case fan speed. Your heat load with just the CPU is minimal. You don't need a second fan....and you might move it up to the front and just have an intake.
c) Same take on the Intel cooler. If you can't drop the fan speed and maintain decent temps, then it's time for it to go. $45 Scythe Mugen 4 is a overkill, but it'll be dead silent for your uses. Or, you could get a $20 Coolermaster 212 Evo and a $10 replacement fan for the Evo instead.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:12 pm

abcabc1 wrote:The case has only one 120 mm fan mounted, plugged to the motherboard, speed is ~1200 rpm.
The another 120 mm fans seem to be optional and can be installed on the top and in the front of the case. What model do you suggest?
A good sounding but not expensive one, like a Scythe Slipstream, though NOT placed as a top exhaust (as sleeve bearing probably won't be glad of that mounting).

Given how bad is your mobo at controlling case fans, maybe I'd get rid of your original 3 pin case fan, pick two PWM ones, along with a PWM splitter (like an Akasa CBFA03-45 for instance), hooking all three of them to the CPU fan header.

Alternatively, you might pick a low current, 3 pin variant, with an y-splitter cable, trying to conveniently lower the BIOS case fan settings (though I wouldn't recommend that).

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:25 pm

abcabc1 wrote:Abula - I don't know. This is how the computer was set up in a store.
Thanks for answering, as steve posted, you can use the built in iGPU, unless you do need Nvidia for anything, but intel 2500 should be good enough for anything none gaming related.
abcabc1 wrote:CA_Steve - the noise is caused mainly by the case fan, and on the 2nd place by the cpu cooler.
HDD, GPU fan and PSU noises seem to be less troubling.
Its important to determine which are they, sometimes we think is one thing, once we change it, we discover was another. But if you know for sure its the case fan and cpu cooler i would start with both.
abcabc1 wrote:I don't know what are the temperatures. This computer is only used for web surfing and typical work like ms office etc.
As steve suggested, there are 3rd party solutions that most of the time work well. I like HWmonitor (i kinda prefer version 1.26 over the newer 1.28, a little less info but to me less useless stuff).
abcabc1 wrote:The case has only one 120 mm fan mounted, plugged to the motherboard, speed is ~1200 rpm.
You could try undervolting your existing fan, the noise should lower, but check the temps to see if you are still with in tolerance, most of us prefer to sacrifice running hotter for quieter setup. If you wish to change the fan and add the optional, i would suggest Noctua NF-S12B redux-700 $13.95, add the frontal fan before adding the top one, usually you get better results this way, you can check Case Fans - How many should you have?
abcabc1 wrote:I will look at the MSI Afterburner.
I would prefer to run without the nvidia, and to use Intels IGPU HD2500, less hardware that can heat up inside. If you don't feel safe taking it out, then keep it.

For the CPU cooler, i would recommend to take a look into Scythe Ninja 4 CPU Cooler #SCNJ-4000 $47.95, it was reviewed by SPCR Scythe Ninja 4: A Legend Reborn and got the editors choice, its a good cooler for the money, and its 155mm height, but you should check if the dimensions will fit the rest of your components, per Scythe website, Overall dimensions: 130 x 153 x 155

Once you do the changes, re check everything again, i agree with Lucas on the Chieftech, but until you know for sure, i would leave it as it is. You still should have around $120 from your budget, in case the PSU needs changing if not i would invest it on an SSD, to me is a must for quiet building.

abcabc1

Post by abcabc1 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:05 pm

Thank you.

I have removed the gfx card and intel gfx works fine.

I have found the temperatures in BIOS:
CPU 37 C ~1500 rpm
System temp 31.0 ~1200 rpm
I've changed both from normal to silent mode. CPU is 1300 rpm now but the system fan speed is still 1200 rpm.

Is Scythe SCASR-1000 fan a good choice? It's a bit lower - 145 mm.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:38 pm

abcabc1 wrote:I've changed both from normal to silent mode. CPU is 1300 rpm now but the system fan speed is still 1200 rpm.

Which are the fan ratings (they should be on the back rotor label)? Is there any manual setting in the BIOS?

abcabc1 wrote:Is Scythe SCASR-1000 fan a good choice? It's a bit lower - 145 mm.
You've mistaken the width for the height: the SCASR-1000 is 161mm tall (and it is a cooler or an heatsink, not a "fan": even better, it "has" a fan).

If you want a shorter/smaller cooler (than the Ninja), look to a Thermalright True Spirit, either the 120m or the 120i variants, though you will need also a replacement fan (as the stock TR one sounds rather bad).

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:48 pm

Now that the gfx card is removed and you've set the cpu fan to "silent" mode, disconnect the case fan.

Now, at idle and under heavy load, what components do you hear in the case? Do you still hear the CPU fan?

Luca, if the case fan is what came with the case rather whatever the PC shop threw in, it's a 1200rpm fan.

abcabc1

Post by abcabc1 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:59 pm

Back rotor label: SPC Case fan 120 DC 12V/0,2A

I attach a photo of the BIOS here:
http://postimg.org/image/452j48zmr/

When I set to 'manual' I can change slope PWM from 0.75 to 2.5 PWM value / C (in 0.25 increments).

After disconnecting case fan it's much better when it comes to noise level.
However, the CPU fan is definitely audible. Then goes HDD and PSU noise, but not so problematic.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:16 pm

What fans and CPU coolers do you have available where you live?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:11 am

abcabc1 wrote:When I set to 'manual' I can change slope PWM from 0.75 to 2.5 PWM value / C (in 0.25 increments).

So, is your mobo system fan header a 4 pin one, while the case fan has a smaller, three pin one?

abcabc1

Post by abcabc1 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:43 am

Hello, I live in Poland. Quite a lot of different models are available, for example:

fans:
http://www.morele.net/komputery/podzesp ... oduct_list

CPU coolers:
http://www.morele.net/komputery/podzesp ... ,,p,1,,/1/

Yes, mobo has 4 pins, while the case fan has 3.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:50 am

abcabc1 wrote:Yes, mobo has 4 pins, while the case fan has 3.
Well, and if you temporarily connected the CPU cooler fan to the System fan header (and the case fan to the CPU fan header), then which would those two fan speeds be? Mainly I'm trying to figure out whether that System fan header is a true PWM one, or not (getting some clue about the relevant minimum speed, in case).
Last edited by quest_for_silence on Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:48 am

abcabc1 wrote:Hello, I live in Poland. Quite a lot of different models are available, for example:

In order to make your system safe and quiet (pun not intended) with the least economical effort (IMO), whether the System fan header were PWM and it had a suitable speed range, then I would buy:

2 (two) of: http://www.morele.net/scythe-slip-strea ... -p-505844/
1 (one) of: http://www.morele.net/akasa-pwm-rozgale ... 15-646694/

Whether you had to rely upon the CPU fan header (because either the System fan header were not PWM or it were too fast), then I would buy:

2 (two) of: http://www.morele.net/scythe-slip-strea ... -p-505844/
1 (one) of: http://www.morele.net/akasa-flexa-fp5s- ... 45-700268/

In addition I would buy: whether it fitted (as it's probable but not certain)

1 (one) of: http://www.morele.net/chlodzenie-cpu-sc ... 00-622949/

Otherwise, whether the above Kotetsu didn't fit:

1 (one) of: http://www.morele.net/chlodzenie-cpu-th ... -a-632672/
1 (one) of: http://www.morele.net/scythe-slip-strea ... -p-505844/

Last but not least, eventually I would buy:

1 (one) of: http://www.morele.net/zasilacz-be-quiet ... 20-585603/

To be fair, if you didn't use any external graphics ever, you might even omit one case fan (and possibly the fan splitter cable), particularly the front intake one (as well as the shop also did, but for the wrong reasons), in order to achieve a possibly tad more quietness, but it's up to your call such a trade off.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:24 am

abcabc1 wrote:Hello, I live in Poland. Quite a lot of different models are available, for example:

fans:
http://www.morele.net/komputery/podzesp ... oduct_list

CPU coolers:
http://www.morele.net/komputery/podzesp ... ,,p,1,,/1/

Yes, mobo has 4 pins, while the case fan has 3.
Pretty nice this Morele website, has a very good stock on different products, and the pricing seems not bad either.

Scythe Ninja 4 (SCNJ-4000) 184.71 zł ($48)
Noctua NF-S12B redux 700 66,91 zł ($18) (two, one front one back)
Zalman FANMATE2 speed controller 16,00 zł ($4) (i would go for two, one for each noctua)

I like Lucas recommendation on the PSU, Be Quiet! Pure Power L8 300W 80PLUS Bronze BN220 176,00 zł ($47), its cheap and should be quiet enough for your setup, even with it you should be below your $200 budget.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:15 am

Mate, the Ninja is huge (as well as a Macho), personally I wouldn't advice it to a newbie, particularly for an i3. :wink:

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:39 am

+1 on not going overkill on the cooler for a 55W TDP CPU. :)

The Thermalright True Spirit 120 M + a scythe fan replacement is a good choice as is the Gelid Tranquilo Rev 3 plus Scythe fan replacement.

For the case fan, 1 fan is fine. Either go with another Scythe Slipstream PWM fan and a PWM cable splitter attached to your mobo's CPU fan header with the Scythe on the CPU cooler; or go with a 3-pin Scythe Slipstream and the Zalman Fanmate 2 hooked up to the PSU.

Maybe you can ebay your gfx card or return it to the PC shop and save some money.

abcabc1

Post by abcabc1 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:16 pm

Hello everyone,
I bought Noctua NH-U9B SE2. The difference is quite significant, at ~1200 rpm about 80% less noise compared to the previous CPU cooler.

Noctua NH-U9B SE2 is supplied with additional adaptors: low noise adaptor and ultra low noise adaptor (see step 8 here: http://noctua.at/media/blfa_files/manua ... ual_en.pdf )
With low noise adaptor it is supposed to run at 1300 rpm, whereas with ultra low noise adaptor - 1000 rpm.

Mine runs 1400 rpm (l.n.a.) and 1200 rpm (u.l.n.a.). Without adaptors 1770 rpm.
Do you have any idea how can I reach 1000 rpm? With zalman fan mate 2? I've tried different settings for the cpu cooler in BIOS but it hasn't resulted in a rpm change.

Staff at the computer store suggested that the computer propably will do fine without any case fan - I will see how it works.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:43 pm

Those are 3-pin fans, correct? If so, they are voltage controlled. You'd need to set your BIOS's CPU fan control to voltage controlled instead of PWM (if it's possible). Otherwise, if your mobo only controls PWM fans, then they'll default to max speed. In the latter case, you'd have to use the Fan Mate 2 to lower it further.

Also, I hope you are using something other than BIOS screen to measure the fan speeds and temps.

abcabc1

Post by abcabc1 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:13 pm

Thank you. Yes, they are 3-pin fans. In BIOS I have found only PWM, no voltage control option.
I've just installed HWiNFO - average temp shows: core#0 47 C core#1 40 C
Motherboard average temp 1 36 C, temp 2 39 C.
Motherboard average power ~ 1200 RPM

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:21 pm

abcabc1 wrote:I bought Noctua NH-U9B SE2.

Why did you ask us for recommendations, if you then did something completely different and apparently wrong, out of the blue?
In my opinion you showed off a pointless lack of respect (probably as well as your own nickname already did since start).

abcabc1 wrote:I've tried different settings for the cpu cooler in BIOS but it hasn't resulted in a rpm change.

Because you bought the wrong cooler: if you have a PWM (4 pin) motherboard you MUST use PWM (4 pin) heatsink and case fans.
That's something I already adviced you about, and that's something your shop staff should have known better than you.

abcabc1 wrote:Staff at the computer store suggested that the computer propably will do fine without any case fan
Oh, forget it, they just didn't know where/how hooking up fans.
Staff at the computer store just sold you something useless and expensive probably: probably that's all they were able to do, and probably that's what you really deserved.

abcabc1

Post by abcabc1 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:44 am

There is no need for hard feelings, I didn't mean to show any disrespect. I also didn't know that 4 pin would be better.
Then, I will probably install case fan, as you suggested.

merlyn
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by merlyn » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:28 am

quest_for_silence wrote:Why did you ask us for recommendations
Calm down dear. The OP can't exactly go wrong with a Noctua and Abula did have one on his list.
quest_for_silence wrote:if you have a PWM (4 pin) motherboard you MUST use PWM (4 pin)
That's just flat out not true. Most motherboards can do DC control using 3 pins whether the header is 3 or 4 pins.
abcabc1 wrote:Staff at the computer store suggested that the computer propably will do fine without any case fan
Well that's obviously nonsense. My personal preference would be to have a 120mm running at about 600-800 rpm as an exhaust. But that's a personal thing, everybody has an opinion.

Guys, try to remember that the OP is new to this stuff. Think about when you started. Incremental change. Get rid of the loudest component each iteration and try to keep the work simple and cheap, especially to begin with. Also try not to overload him/her with information, we all know a lot of stuff but we've built that up over years of experience.

Why didn't anyone mention SpeedFan? Is that considered too complex for newbz? It's still my goto software for temperature and fan monitoring and control on Windows systems.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:52 am

merlyn wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote:Why did you ask us for recommendations
Calm down dear. The OP can't exactly go wrong with a Noctua and Abula did have one on his list.

It might well be I had to keep calm and smile a bit more.

On the other hand, I guess you have to check your list twice before posting this way: given you didn't, please let me be kind and revise it for you.
  1. no one adviced for a CPU cooler with 3 pin fans (and for a reason);
  2. no one adviced for a Noctua CPU cooler (and for a reason);
  3. no one adviced for a 92mm CPU cooler (and for a reason);
  4. though I didn't agree with him, nonetheless Abula adviced for a 700rpm fan, which may run off 12V much more easily than two 1800rpm ones;
  5. you can go wrong with any brand, Noctua may suck as any other player (and as a matter of fact, several Noctua products are just overrated, with reference to noise);
  6. every time you use a good products in the wrong place, that is a wrong application;
  7. if you asked *us*: "which part should I pick from this catalogue?" - then you got 4 options, but eventually you picked a 5th - not adviced by *us* - one, how did you call such acting? Shallowness? Lack of trust in us? Lack of respect? Arrogance? I just picked my answer among these four ones.

merlyn wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote:if you have a PWM (4 pin) motherboard you MUST use PWM (4 pin)
That's just flat out not true. Most motherboards can do DC control using 3 pins whether the header is 3 or 4 pins.

Please do not either skimming or scanning before critical quoting, or you will easily miss the point.

As you could have understood from requested checkings and notes, mine wasn't a "royal" or "generic" you, I was referring right to the OP himself and I was clearly talking of his actual headers (that's not of any given header on motherboardland).

He has not a 3 pin enabled motherboard (and particularly on the CPU header), he already experienced that limitation with his original case fan, and he was told he'd have needed PWM fans, so that actually he had a few justifications to opt for 3 pin fans.

merlyn wrote:Guys, try to remember that the OP is new to this stuff.

Neither the knowledge nor the experience was put into question: I somehow questioned his attitude, as I didn't like it.

merlyn wrote:Why didn't anyone mention SpeedFan?
Often trying Speedfan on Gigabyte boards is a waste of time: but if you advice a newbie to do that, likely the expected failure rate will be nearby 100%. IMO/IME.