is silentpcreview.com ever coming back?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dan

is silentpcreview.com ever coming back?

Post by dan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:28 pm

silentpcreview.com

we knew and love seems dead. :shock:

is it ever coming back?

or has technology made this dead

now with ssd

for me some surprises

asus mother i have the p5k requires a fan , no fan it doesn't work.

nofan 95 is discontinued

Derek Semeraro

Re: is silentpcreview.com ever coming back?

Post by Derek Semeraro » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:04 am

As much as I want it to come back, I think the owners have moved onto other projects. Nowadays, desktop PC building is a niche and parts overall are not as noisy.

Hrafn

Post by Hrafn » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:58 pm

If no further SPCR reviews are forthcoming, would it be worthwhile turning this site into a curated portal/directory for quality external silent-PC-related hardware reviews and commentary (assuming that such doesn't already exist)?

Alex11223

Post by Alex11223 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:48 pm

Derek Semeraro wrote:desktop PC building is a niche
I think it always was kind of niche? At least for the last 15-20 years. (and earlier all computers were a niche)
A lot of people were always buying prebuilt PCs, Macs, laptops, ...

And now of course some people are satisfied with just smartphone or tablet, but I think the type of people (geeks :)) who were building PC earlier still continue doing that.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:27 am

Hrafn wrote:If no further SPCR reviews are forthcoming, would it be worthwhile turning this site into a curated portal/directory for quality external silent-PC-related hardware reviews and commentary (assuming that such doesn't already exist)?
We are doing this, in this forum. On video cards, in particular.

Hrafn

Post by Hrafn » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:07 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:
Hrafn wrote:If no further SPCR reviews are forthcoming, would it be worthwhile turning this site into a curated portal/directory for quality external silent-PC-related hardware reviews and commentary (assuming that such doesn't already exist)?
We are doing this, in this forum. On video cards, in particular.
Yes, but the forum's exposure on SPCR's frontpage is fairly minimal (and currently contains no links to hardware review directory posts) -- that page is designed mainly to expose the site's (now fairly elderly) internal review and recommendation articles. This means that most new readers won't even realise that the other side of the site exists and is ongoing.

Also, my impression is that the curation of fan reviews is considerably more haphazard (having followed some of them fairly closely in the head-up to a recent new build), making finding the reviews (even by a reader who knows that links to them exist on this site) considerably more laborious. This is perhaps a result of fans being a lot more heterogeneous than video cards (the latter being entirely based on GPUs from 2 manufacturers).