Windows Vista? Like the name or hate it

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Windows Vista? Like the name or hate it?

Like It
9%
Hate It
36%
Don't Care
39%
Use Linux
13%
Use Mac OS
3%

Total votes: 75

mathias

Post by mathias » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:14 pm

jamesm wrote: that's why you should use Xfce.
That's got nothing to do with it. The point is that most people use KDE and Gnome. Though I don't know exactly how they compare to OSX, but KDE 3.1 looks a lot nicer than windows.

PositiveSpin

Post by PositiveSpin » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:35 pm

XP isn't a breakaway from 9x / me - it's a follow on from NT (the kernel is pure NT - and that's a GOOOOOOOD thing - I've done some kernel work in both NT and 9X, and the difference is huge).

I never had a lot of time for Win2K - it always felt like a half-way step. And XP felt like the second half of the step - added full PnP support to the OS.

I really like XP - it felt like they added / fixed pretty much all the broken bits without disturbing the bits that weren't broken. At the same time, the first thing I do when I install XP on a machine is to switch the GUI back to Windows Classic - I'm not a fan of the "cutesy" GUI. But bear in mind that I still have a copy of Windows 1.1 (5 x 5.25" floppies!) lying around somewhere - I've used every generation of Windows (yes, including Windows 2.1, Windows 386, and NT 3.1) - I'm a tad old-fashioned :-)

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:49 pm

From an article in The Seatle Times:
The Seatle Times wrote:By naming the next version of Windows "Vista," Microsoft may have stepped on the toes of another software company just down the road in Redmond.

That would be Vista, a business software and services company founded in 1999 by John Wall. He was not amused when Microsoft announced its choice yesterday, setting the stage for a massive rollout when its flagship operating system goes on sale in fall 2006.

Wall, a well-known technology executive in the area who earlier founded Wall Data, is examining whether the name violates the trademark his company has held for six years. He plans to raise the issue with Microsoft, a company notoriously protective of its own trademarks, and may take the issue to court.
Poor guy! He has no chance against Microsoft!
The Seatle Times wrote:"If they called it Windows Garbage, would people still buy it? Yeah, they'd buy it," said David Burd, owner of The Naming Co. in East Stroudsburg, Pa. "They've got something like 90 percent penetration in the world of operating systems."
Hmmmm... Windows Garbage? Not that bad! :lol:

mathias

Post by mathias » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:55 pm

Slaugh wrote:
The Seatle Times wrote:"If they called it Windows Garbage, would people still buy it? Yeah, they'd buy it," said David Burd, owner of The Naming Co. in East Stroudsburg, Pa. "They've got something like 90 percent penetration in the world of operating systems."
Hmmmm... Windows Garbage? Not that bad! :lol:
That could be seen as truth in advertising. Something more arrogant like "Windows FU" or even "Windows champion" would be worse.

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:56 pm

Kinda redundant though, don't you think? ;)

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:43 pm

Whatever they decide to call it, they should change up their naming scheme a bit, and not call it "Windows" at all. "MS-DOS 9" would be alright with me.

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:06 pm

I've already answered that I use Linux, but I don't understand why so many people hate this name so much. At least it's an actual "name", for once!

"Vista"? It's a nice word, and it's not following any theme which rips off any other OS naming scheme.

mb2

Post by mb2 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:33 pm

PositiveSpin wrote:XP isn't a breakaway from 9x / me - it's a follow on from NT (the kernel is pure NT
um, thanks? isn't using the NT kernel itself a depature from the 9x line? for the home user. we were talking about naming anyway..

mathias

Post by mathias » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:44 pm

IsaacKuo wrote:I've already answered that I use Linux, but I don't understand why so many people hate this name so much. At least it's an actual "name", for once!
It's an operating system, it's the foundation of the computer, it doesn't need a name to give it personality. Yes, it also includes a face, but appearance is a personal prefferance issue and the GUI should be modular, or at least very tweakable.

Longhorn was a name too, and if it was officially called windows 2006 or something like that, people familiar with it could call it longhorn, while those not very tech savvy would have the benefit of a name that gives some info about it's relation to other windowses.
IsaacKuo wrote:"Vista"? It's a nice word, and it's not following any theme which rips off any other OS naming scheme.
What other naming schemes did windows rip off? Don't tell me there's a software patent on naming programs after years, I think the industry is a bit less insane than that.

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:03 pm

[quote="mathias"]What other naming schemes did windows rip off?[/quote

I'm not saying Windows ever did. What I meant is that if the name of the new Windows OS _did_ rip off someone else, then I'd understand why people would groan. But it didn't, so I can't see the problem.

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:06 pm

For those who want more information about the new OS, there's a review of the first beta release at Paul's Thurrott's Supersite. The GUI is a mix of Windows XP and MacOS X. According to Paul Thurrott, Vista seems faster than Windows XP and it's still in beta testing:
Surprisingly, Windows Vista Beta 1 is a speedy performer. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see statistics showing that it's already faster than XP on the same hardware. This is somewhat confusing to me, since early betas are generally not tuned for performance. Plus, Vista has an incredibly dense UI compared to XP. I'll be interested to see whether this changes over time.

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:46 pm

Actually, I kinda like "Windows FU", something with the arrogant American flair. (A good thing)

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:15 pm

From Windows IT Pro:
Longhorn Server Won't Be Called Windows Vista Server

Although Microsoft is stopping short of admitting that the next major Windows Server release will be called Windows Server 2007, that's exactly what's going to happen. The company went with the Vista branding for the Longhorn client, but Longhorn Server will continue to use the standard Windows Server naming conventions. So if you were worried that the server guys had lost their minds, relax: They still get it.