p180 door question

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JohnFL

p180 door question

Post by JohnFL » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:14 pm

Am thinking seriously of getting the P180, but one thing i really don't like about it, is that the power and hard drive LED's cannot be seen when the door is closed. The reason for the door to be closed ofcourse, is for making it a quieter computer...duhhhh. But if im doing work, i like to be able to see when my hard drive is active, and when not.

So here is my question. Has anyone ever tried to drill some sight holes in the door, so that the LED's can be seen? I know its not a big deal, but im wondering with the material being sandwiched like it is, if it is still possible to drill a couple of holes in the door, without it tearing the door up?

metalmorphasis

Post by metalmorphasis » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:24 pm

The power LED is fully visible with door closed (not obstructed by door) And the hard drive LED is bright enough so it can be seen flickering through the side vent with door closed, depending upon the angle.
Also with the lights off in the dark, it flickers so bright through the vent that it reminds me of a lightening show.
All in all these lights are plenty bright enough fo me.

DanW

Post by DanW » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:15 am

metalmorphasis wrote:The power LED is fully visible with door closed (not obstructed by door) And the hard drive LED is bright enough so it can be seen flickering through the side vent with door closed, depending upon the angle.
Also with the lights off in the dark, it flickers so bright through the vent that it reminds me of a lightening show.
All in all these lights are plenty bright enough fo me.

seconded. Although I've not got my HDD light plugged in (I think I plugged it in the wrong motherboard connector) and you forget about it fairly quickly. If you want to know if there's HDD activity, just listen for it, as the system *should* be quiet enough for that now, unless you put a loud fan in there.

I've had to put some white tac on the front of my power LED otherwise my whole room is lit up by it and can get quite distracting when gaming (I've got enough lights coming from my keyboard, but that's sort of OK as I can see it in the dark) or trying to sleep.

JohnFL

Post by JohnFL » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:21 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I should have said that i was not that worried about the power LED. It's easy enough to see if the computer is running, by looking at the LED on the keyboard.

As for the HD LED, that's another matter. With the front door shut, and the hard drives sitting on silicone pads, that would dampen the sound from the drives. I was thinking of putting like a 1/4 inch hole right where the HD led is, so that i could see it. The remark about being able to see it at the vents, is kind of vague. My system will be sitting right beside my monitor, so that means i will not being seeing the side of the vents.

I was hoping someone would have modified their door, so i know what would happen if i drill a very small hole in there. I know the standard stuff like taping the front and back where the hole will be drilled. But it would be nice to know if the material will not unravel as it's being drilled.