free genome data & tools?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

free genome data & tools?

Post by Tzupy » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:32 am

I became a fan of the ReGenesys TV series and would like to know if there's any freely downloadable tool & data for viewing a germ in 3D?
I found some freely available genome lists, but I don't know what to do with them. I have OpenGL programming skills, so I could program my own 3D viewer, if I knew more.
If someone can provide clues, please do. Thank you.

floffe

Post by floffe » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:09 am

I have no idea what that TV series is, but from the sound of it they use some kind of advanced visualisation stuff, allowing them to see bacteria in 3D from their DNA? That is not achievable today, sorry.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:18 am

Well, they visualized it on a LCD screen, not on a 3D screen, which BTW is available - Philips has an autostereoscopic 1600x1200.
There's also the true 3D Perspecta, but that has lower resolution and colour range.
It should be possible today to visualize the 3D model of a germ, not neccesarily starting only from the DNA.

floffe

Post by floffe » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:37 am

Yeah, I meant the move from DNA --> 3D model of organism, not the actual display of the data. You need quite a bit more info to see how anything looks, quite a bit like how reading a recipe won't make a good picture of a cake ;)