SILENT FRIDGE: What would you advise?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

adam_mccullough

Post by adam_mccullough » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:33 am

Sheesh... this thread is outrageous in so many ways. Wow. Welcome to the dark underbelly of SPCR!

cherala

Post by cherala » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:04 am

How much electricity does a refrigerator setting use? My dad has been turning the refrigerator setting down to save on electricity every month. Is he really saving anything & how much electricity does the refrigerator setting actually use on a daily/monthly basis? When his electric bill comes, how much of that do you think he is paying towards the refrigerator setting?
Last edited by cherala on Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greg F.

Post by Greg F. » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:19 am

My 18 Cubic Feet Amana electric uses about 560 watts steady state when on.
My 1.6 cf GE uses about 60 steady. Measured by Kill-a-watt.
The quiet GE is very small and it has no fan so manual defrost. It would not be sufficient for a large family. We have learned to adjust for this. It doesn't hold much so we have to stop at market more. The GE could be made more efficient and quieter by application of Styrofoam panels on top, back and sides. This is something I have yet to do and might not.
A Serval propane, made by Electrolux in Sweden and about 7.6 CF, would of course use no line electricity. The light and igniter are powered by D cell batteries. Servals are about US$1000 in Washington State. They have no compressor, are silent and last for decades. There are reports of some lasting half century. Still would have to pay for propane and that is $1.80 per gallon. I think they use about one fourth gallon per day. So that would be about $164 per year.
I pay $0.1104 per KWH. I am guessing the Amana 18 uses about 6 KWH day or 2190 per year. About $242 per year. The Amana is old and new ones are more efficient.
You can see that while there is a savings in using propane, it is not enough to justify the capital expenditure. If something doesn't pencil out to an internal rate of return of at least 33% I don't do it. Part of that being that expected rates of return often have a way of ending up being closer to half of expected.
Having said that, electricity is expected to rise dramatically in the near term. Come the revolution there might be no electricity coming down those lines. North American has abundant LPG and natural gas.
Simply substituting the GE for the Amana dropped our monthly power consumption by 33 to 40%. Of course it dropped the size of our refrigerator by 90% so I guess that makes sense.
I am not poor, just eccentric and beleaguered with a siege mentality. My pickup truck is a 1980 model and that's the new one. The old one is a 1968.
In the next few months I plan on disposing of the electric hot water tank for a tankless propane. I expect considerable savings.
And to mollify SPCR moderators let me state that I eagerly await the 45W Athlon Propus cores.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:56 am

cherala wrote:How much electricity does a refrigerator setting use? My dad has been turning the refrigerator setting down to save on electricity every month. Is he really saving anything & how much electricity does the refrigerator setting actually use on a daily/monthly basis? When his electric bill comes, how much of that do you think he is paying towards the refrigerator setting?
Get a Kill-A-Watt to know for sure, but those numbers are listed on ALL new fridges and freezers at least here in Finland, probably elsewhere too?

Besides f.ex. meat, fish need as cold as possible to stay fresh.

alleycat

Re: SILENT FRIDGE: What would you advise?

Post by alleycat » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:41 pm

Would it be possible to make the frame out of something with better insulation qualities such as wood? I think aluminium will conduct too much heat away.

hatiu5

Re: SILENT FRIDGE: What would you advise?

Post by hatiu5 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:09 am

Silent fridge are somewhat different from the other refrigerator brands.These are mainly used in hotel’s guest rooms. Although these are used at a small level but imparts equally high quality as that of best refrigerator brand.