Good free email service?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mettyx

Good free email service?

Post by Mettyx » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:32 pm

After these revelations I find that I just can't accept such behavior as business as usual anymore, so I've cut off everything google related. Their email, browser, search engine, storage. Everything, they can go fuck themselves already.

Anyway, I only use Mozilla Thunderbird so the interface is completely irrelevant but the important things are:

-the address is not silly sounding, for example, I can't have @yahoo as a business email.
-it has full support for email clients so it won't happen that I can only receive email via Thunderbird and not be able to send them
-that there is no expiration date if you don't login in to the email website since I obviously never will if I'm using Thunderbird
-that it's a long standing service so I can count on it to have the same email for at least 3 years

does anyone know of an email service with these qualities?

Lucky Luciano

Re: Good free email service?

Post by Lucky Luciano » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:04 am

www.gmx.com, since 1997

It's owned by a German company but it does have some servers in the US as well and since it doesn't seem to support encryption it's hardly NSA-proof.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:13 am

If you want to escape just google and their way of accessing data, you could apply to any other free mail service. If you want to escape from prism/NSA you would have to turn to a company having no hardware and affiliates in the US (and you would have to do a fair amount of more things to be somewhere safe).

But you could try and register a suited domain and let your own domain be hosted by a service provider offering webspace and mail (you do not necessarily have to provide a webpage). That does have certain advantages, i. e. you manage all emails for your domain and as long as you keep the domain registered, no change of email address, neverever.

It usually isn't free. That's the main disadvantage. But prices in germany start from 3 Euro/Month for the smallest packages.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:39 am

While not free, this is what i would use for a small buisness, GoDaddy. Get your domian so your email ends like that, and get the $3 a month.

edh

Post by edh » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:46 am

Are you REALLY that interesting to the NSA? I just find it a little overblown when police and other agencies in most countries are able to gain access to traditional forms of communication like phone and letters once the correct authorisation has been gained. I have no problem at all with this.
Last edited by edh on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mettyx

Post by Mettyx » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:08 am

I just feel dirty using their services now. You have to draw the line somewhere, especially because US is turning into this.

edh

Post by edh » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:39 am

Mettyx wrote:You have to draw the line somewhere, especially because US is turning into this.
Sorry but that site has absolutely no strength in it at all. It's against the 'North American Union', a conspiracy theory that Mexico, the USA and Canada will join into one country.

So are you really trying to look for another email provider or are you just trying to troll a certain political viewpoint? You didn't have to link to anti-establishment material did you? You could have just asked for advice on a secure email host. I'd therefore say that you were going for the latter point.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:51 pm

free services have to cost someone something.

for my email i use the only isp on this list that got 6 stars from the EFF i believe they do email only for like 2 or 5$ a month. (youd have to call, they dont list it on their site.)

but even so,
"E-mail is no more private than a postcard."
and also,
since 9/11 the NSA has had the ability to intercept every phone call, text message and Internet communication transmitted to, from and within the USA (and most likely beyond).

so maybe its time to look for a new planet to live on, instead of just a new email address.

laststop

Post by laststop » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:35 am

http://www.riseup.net

full encryption but takes awhile for your account to be approved

What is special about riseup.net email
--------------------------------------

Your riseup.net email account is a wonderful thing. Although we don't provide as
much storage quota as surveillance-funded corporate email providers, riseup.net
email has many unusual features:

(1) We encrypt traffic whenever possible.

When you send email from riseup.net to another secure email provider, the email
is encrypted for its entire journey. (see https://riseup.net/starttls for more
info)

(2) We don't disclose your location to email recipients.

When you send email with riseup.net, your internet address (IP address) is not
embedded in the email. With corporate email providers, anyone who receives your
email can figure out your approximate physical location from the internet
address included in the email.

(3) We don't log your internet address.

Our commitment is to keep as little data on you as we can. Unlike corporate
providers, we do not log internet addresses of anyone using riseup.net services,
including email.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:56 am

Interesting topic, thanks for the post on riseup.net, laststop.

Here's a free email encyrption system for gmail that's v good: https://www.penango.com/

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:21 pm

After this hate filled rant I wonder what the zealot originator is trying to hide.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=66660

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:45 am

I use startpage.com, and I've been wanting to go with an Icelandic webhost.

I'd be interested in Japan or another country, but I was told Iceland is the safest bet.