No Country for Cyber Old Men

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

quest_for_silence

No Country for Cyber Old Men

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:11 am

Reachable
Friend of SPCR

Re: No Country for Cyber Old Men

Post by Reachable » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:02 am

The writer of that piece was young and naive to have believed that technology would liberate the world while the foundations of the economic system remained the same. And that conference in Switzerland is no place to go to find transcendent wisdom or responsibility.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:56 am

Reachable wrote:The writer of that piece was young and naive to have believed that technology would liberate the world while the foundations of the economic system remained the same. And that conference in Switzerland is no place to go to find transcendent wisdom or responsibility.

Probably. Perhaps are you too old to dream? :wink:
(Please take my words with sense of humour and some good will)

Reachable
Friend of SPCR

Post by Reachable » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:24 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
Reachable wrote:The writer of that piece was young and naive to have believed that technology would liberate the world while the foundations of the economic system remained the same. And that conference in Switzerland is no place to go to find transcendent wisdom or responsibility.

Probably. Perhaps are you too old to dream? :wink:
(Please take my words with sense of humour and some good will)
Actually, there are signs that people in large numbers are wising up to the situation. So, even if I were too old to dream, I could enjoy watching things happen. :)

This struck a little nerve in me. From back when it first started I was enraged by Apple Computer's ads, how they were marketing themselves and their customers as 'revolutionaries', and likening themselves to Gandhi. It's just ad copy, but it's more than enough to keep me from ever buying or using an Apple product.

On the other hand, the Internet has been the savior of peoples' minds during the dark age of the media becoming more and more corporatized and corrupt.

I feel like I'm taking this way too seriously. And by the way, no offense taken at all, Luca.